Setting up custom DNS names for local machines

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-07-15 22:41:03
Model: TL-WR902AC  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 0.9.1 0.1 v0089.0 Build 170828 Rel.57433n(4555)

Hello. I was wondering whether it's possible to have the router to work as a DNS for the NAT, so as to assign names to the connected devices so I can, e.g., access my laptop, which is running an FTP server by a name instead of having to refer to it by the IP address

Options
5 Reply
Re:Setting up custom DNS names for local machines
2019-07-16 08:20:44

@Lacrymology 

There is no option to make it as a DNS and assign names for the connected device. 

If the server is in the same network, you can create a host for your device and redirect it to the server; or you can use the DDNS to access it remotely when the WAN IP s public IP address. 

Options
2019-07-16 09:07:13

By "create a host" you mean in /etc/hosts or similar? Well no, the idea would be to not have to do that on every device in the house. I don't even know how to do that on Android

Options
Re:Re:Setting up custom DNS names for local machines
2019-07-17 11:53:03
DDNS is a service that is used mostly for port forwarding so you can see the device on your network and from a WIFI network other than you own. For example, a Camera you may want to see both on your network and on some remote network while you are traveling. You would set up your ISP IPv4 address with a DDNS provider such as no-ip, setup an address reservation for your camera, and assign a port to the camera's IP address. Then you would setup the camera app by using settings something like xxxxx-ddns.com and port number. Now you can view the camera both on your network and on outside networks. If you used an internal IP of say 192.168.0.119, you could only see the camera within your network.
Options
Re:Re:Re:Setting up custom DNS names for local machines
2019-07-17 12:01:23

Not what I want, I want intra-nat name resolution

Options
2020-04-02 16:39:29

@Lacrymology were you able to find a way to do this?

Options

Information

Helpful: 4

Views: 11780

Replies: 5

Related Articles