Separate 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz on Deco M4

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Separate 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz on Deco M4

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
47 Reply
Re:Separate 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz on Deco M4
2021-05-04 08:05:45

MrTomGreen wrote

Just be aware although this works for a lot of scenarios, there are some it doesn't seem to play nice with - not for me anyway (e.g. Sonos, Printers)

Read back through the thread for info.

@MrTomGreen 

It should work but like any network you need all devices on the same network that will use it, Printer in 2.4 device with the information you need on 2.4, music on 2.4 you want to play on the Sanos if they arent on the same network they will never play or print.

Options
2021-07-05 22:33:49

Bought M4R Mesh system recently with 3 sattelites. With latest available firmware to date the feature is not here yet. TP-Link, this is not reasonable. Almost 2 years since promised the feature to separate setup 2.4 and 5 GHz wireless networks is not added yet. As I am still within "cooling off period" I will return.

Options
2021-07-05 22:39:51

@Elny16 

just set up the guest network as 2.4 it works perfectly. 

Options
2021-09-11 08:17:38

I doubt TP-Link will ever release a firmware with separate SSID.

Like they said, doing so will destroy their MESH.

I had M5, but all machines connected through M5 periodically stutters, ZOOM meetings disconnects and online learning disrupted.

When I change my WIFI to a simpler A6 with separate SSIDs, everything went fine.

Simply PUT this mesh sounds great on paper, but suck on actual implementation.

DECO is NOT RECOMMENDED! It is an expensive PUCK!

Options
2021-09-11 14:05:35 - last edited 2021-09-11 14:08:05

@ragnakore 

I run my Deco mesh with separate SSID. Here is WiFi Setting screenshot from my Deco app:

Options
2021-09-11 14:53:15 - last edited 2021-09-11 14:54:28

@ragnakore 

been using M5 for nearly a year, have the 2.4 only as the guest network for the few devices that can run only on 2.4 the rest runs on the mixed main network.  No issues with zoom, teams or Webex. No buffering and speeds over 200mbps everywhere. 

The fascination with separate networks is crazy as you can do it easily yourself.  

Options
2021-10-10 00:57:36
Using guest network solution does not work for me. Because for some reason Guest network is considered as seperate network altogether. And I don't have that "isolated from main netowork" option either. To put things in context, I just got Oculus Quest 2. To connect the Oculus to my Desktop PC, it needs to be on the same network (PC using LAN connection). While the Oculus is connected to the "guest" network @ 5gHz, it doesn't detect my PC at all. Deco is really a good mesh product, really convenient to have. But i guess it is too much to ask for a bit more complex usage =/
Options
2021-10-10 11:37:19

@kiddosquall 

In your case, you can make Main Network 5GHz only, and connect Oculus Quest to it. That should work, because all LAN devices are on Main Network.

In Router mode Guest Network is always isolated from Main Network. That is why WiFi device connected to Guest Network can't communicate with PC connected by Ethernet cable 

Deco mesh is a good product, but it becomes a bit challenging when WiFi device connected to it does not understand dual band, band steering, wifi roaming.

The question would be, who's fault it is and who must offer solutions to that incompatibility: manufacturer of WIFi mesh which works according to modern standards or manufacturer of WiFi device that does not.

Eventually, when more and more WiFi devices become mesh and dual band aware, or people stop buying those that don't, it'll become less of an issue.

Options
2022-02-14 16:40:36

@TP-Link I attempted to use the guest network first, but since it is isolated from the main network smart devices can't connect across the two. Even devices that are 2.4 only have intermittent issues due to this. I can't get my phone on one to stream to a device on the other (main-guest). It doesn't see it as local. But if you combine them under one ssid the 2.4 devices constantly lose connection. Half my house doesn't work . If the mesh breaks when separating the bands then at least allow communication between guest and main like my previous TP-Link Archer router did. I have invested a lot of time setting everything up and now have to do it again with a different manufacturer. I can't wait to see if this basic functionality will be added. 

Options
2022-02-14 17:22:59

@JJ5 

Use the guest network only for things that can't work on both 2.4 and 5. Don't try and force them to use the guest network unless they can't do 5g.  Devices like smart plugs, some printers and some versions of sanos speaker will need to use the guest everything else should use the standard network.  Then when say wanting to print just connect the device and the printer to tye 2.4 network. 

If it's still not working then you might have defective Decos.  As it works perfectly like that   

Options
Related Articles