Archer C5400 Connection randomly restarts or turns off during Blizzard games

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Archer C5400 Connection randomly restarts or turns off during Blizzard games

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
22 Reply
Re:Archer C5400 Connection randomly restarts or turns off during Blizzard games
2020-04-19 09:39:04

@Gwalle 

Hey guys

I had nothing but trouble with the newer firmware always restarting itself and to be honest the support really was not helpful that i recieved from TP-Link

I ended up taking back under warrenty and getting a exchange

(I am no way and hell going to upgrade to the latest current firmware)

As it seems they really dont want to fix the issue.....

If u can role back to 1.2.2 and see how u go I have had hardly no issues with it 

Just wish I could say the same for the NBN LOL

Good Luck

Chris 

Options
2020-07-02 04:40:06

I am also having issues with my router losing connection to the internet. It's happened three time now while I am away which I lose all access to my smart devices and the router itself. 

This needs to be addressed right away. 

Options
2020-09-29 15:12:53

@Gwalle Did you ever find a fix for this issue? My router randomly reboots while playing world of warcraft, no other game causes this.

Options
2020-09-29 15:44:42 - last edited 2020-09-29 15:45:47

Hey All

Am posting my feedback here because I know how long I struggled and this was just about the only place I found any reference to this issue.

@Cnelson Not sure what model you have, but hopefully this helps you too.

I have the CX5400 v1.0, and I continuously had the random reboot issue pretty much since I first updated the firmware from where it was when I bought it, to 1.1.2 Build 20191223 rel.73956(4555) (which seems to be the latest release for this model).

I tried everything in terms of disabling different settings. HomeCare, QoS, etc. Nothing solved the problem.

I recently got sick of it and wanted to see if I could get it back to the older firmware, even though that is missing a quite a few nice features.

What I did was:

Using the TP Link support portal, searched for my model and selected the correct version number (v1.0) in my case. 

As you all will know, when you select the firmware section on the support page, you get a prompt alerting you to make sure you select the correct country/area where you live, with many red warnings about what would happen if you didn't.

I noticed that my area (Africa/Middle East) has different previous firmware versions available than the US site.

Because my router technically says it is a v1.0 (EU), I browsed through several european countries' support sites and compared the firmware downloads. 

In short, they do differ, so be aware of this. 

For all EU countries, as well as my country, the firmware names indicate it is for the EU model though. So I figured it should be compatible.

I eventually found an older firmware version on another EU country support site, which seemed to be universal as far as regional models goes (Archer C5400X(EU JP US)_V1_180904).

I first reset my router to factory defaults, which resets all the config but still stays on the latest firmware version. I then used the bin file for the older firmware version named above, to manually "update" my router firmware from its web management UI. Once I was back on that version of the firmware, I configured my router from scratch again.

I ran it like this for about a week and the reboots did not happen again. After about two weeks, there were other bugs/features that became troublesome for me, so I took the chance and upgraded my firmware to the latest version again using the online update button on the router management web page.

Since then, the reboots have not happened again. 

I should also mention, it might be unrelated, but my WAN connection had a situation where my fibre ISP was putting me behind a NAT due to an incorrectly set up internet connection (PPPoE instead of Dynamic IP). This effective double NAT caused major instability, so not sure if this might have contributed as well. Just check yours in case.

Options
2020-09-29 15:48:20
Many thanks I will try the above! I have the Archer C5400 V2 so the firmware will differ from yours but I'll see what I can do.
Options
2020-09-29 15:56:10 - last edited 2020-09-29 16:00:54

@Cnelson I ended up doing RMA on my V2 and got a new one 

I have updated to the latest firmware so far so good

Wish I could say the same for the reliability of the NBN 

Options
2020-09-29 16:07:32
What do you mean RMA? Did you return it for another V2? I think I may have to do the same
Options
2020-09-29 16:24:05
Yeah mate I got in contact with TP-LINK online chat support they said there's something wrong gave me a number and I took it back to where I bought it and because you get the number from TP-LINK it's a lot faster to swap it out
Options
2020-09-29 16:24:06
Yeah mate I got in contact with TP-LINK online chat support they said there's something wrong gave me a number and I took it back to where I bought it and because you get the number from TP-LINK it's a lot faster to swap it out
Options
2020-09-29 16:27:22

@Gwalle Ah ok thanks for your help I appreciate it!

Options
Related Articles