Block unknown devices on Deco M9 - user changes MAC address to fool parental controls

Block unknown devices on Deco M9 - user changes MAC address to fool parental controls

127 Reply
Re:Block unknown devices on Deco M9 - user changes MAC address to fool parental controls
2023-02-12 07:35:18

@7dwergen So the (not so hilarious) thing about this thread is. I originally posted because I was having problems with my son accessing the internet when he shouldn't and doing things he shoudnt

Deco messaged me saying they were looking to fix this over three years ago

There has been nothing

This has dragged on so long, my son will soon be turning 18 and can do what he wants (in principal) online

So thanks Deco for your absolute non-action on making this happen but (personally) it is of no use to me any more

Options
[Troubleshooting] Block unknown devices on Deco M9
2023-02-13 01:53:33

Are you guys using iOS devices ? And have enabled the private WiFi address option ? This wil caused the client name shown as"network device"

Options
Re:Block unknown devices on Deco M9 - user changes MAC address to fool parental controls
2023-02-13 19:23:15

TheBuzzard wrote

@7dwergen So the (not so hilarious) thing about this thread is. I originally posted because I was having problems with my son accessing the internet when he shouldn't and doing things he shoudnt

Exactly the same here, the ship has sailed for me. A combination of this and random ping spikes that I've never managed to tame unfortunately means I'm now discounting TP-Link upfront when hunting around for a shiny new WiFi 6 mesh.

Options
2023-02-14 23:03:02

@Walrus 

I can agree on this one. Bought 3 TP-link deco m9's  almost 3 years ago, but because of the lack of support i will not get any new tp-link equipment. Lost a cutomer for life. Paid an awfull load of money for 3 decos because of the "good" parental control that unfortunately doesnt work .

Options
2023-02-14 23:10:17

@7dwergen 

I have lost all hope on this one - and just pull the Deco out of the wall every night.

What I find disturbing is that none of the tech reviewers have picked up on this issue.

They still buy into the hype of TP-links "excellent parental controls".

I wish they would do their homework, so I did not end up buying the wrong product.

Options
2023-02-14 23:36:05

@7dwergen 

Sadly I agree with the sentiment expressed throughout the thread and particularly the last few posts.

TP-Link don't care about their customer base and they've even stopped pretending to listen.

Like others, I won't purchase or recommend TP-Link products in the future based on my experiences with the Deco.

Options
2023-02-15 00:02:44

Somebody know a good alternative for this product? I mean wifi mesh with mac whitelisting. Even if it is from another brand.

Options
2023-02-15 00:57:53

@WeroLuis 

Netgear Orbi, Smart Parental Controls.

Options
2023-04-07 15:22:17

So, having bought the Deco system because it apparently has excellent parental controls, we find out that it's missing a Whitelist feature, and judging by this thread TPLink don't care..

that about sum it up?

Options
[Troubleshooting] Block unknown devices on Deco M9
2023-04-07 15:23:27

@TP-Link 

how is this post a solution....

Options