New Apartment Networking Dilemma

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-08-06 05:22:49 - last edited 2022-02-15 06:54:31
Model: AC50  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I'll try to keep this short and sanitized, but still useful for those that respond:

I recently moved into a new apartment with Internet included in the rent. I've realized though that my router's WAN port is being given a private IP address in a generic class C network range, which is preventing me from being able to connect to my OpenVPN server remotely without trying to configure DDNS or a different method.

I did a generic scan, to confirm my fears, of multiple subnets in the class C range, and came across many WAN interfaces of other renters in the building along with other end-facing devices. No malicious intent on my part, so I don't want to break out Kali to dig deeper, but I am worried about my own network's safety with this poor implementation.

I'm looking for advice on how I should handle my scenario. Do I notify the property management company of the risk to myself/others/their devices and network, or does this just put myself at risk of legal actions against me/termination of my lease? Do I just accept my fate with this implementation and tighten my own network security even more than it already is?

Please advise. reverse phone lookup

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:New Apartment Networking Dilemma-Solution
2019-08-07 11:12:45 - last edited 2022-02-15 06:54:27

To protect the security of the local network, try to create a complicated wireless password for the wireless network;

For the local web page of the main router, create a password for it, and disable the remote management and turn on the firewall or antivirus or so.

While considering it is a private LAN IP address, per Archer C8 said, you can contact the property owner to negotiate it. 

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:New Apartment Networking Dilemma
2019-08-06 12:12:22
If it were me, I would notify the apartment management in writing using registered mail with return receipt of the possible security issues you have found. I would indicate in the letter that if there was a security breech, they be responsible for damages. If they were unable to correct it, I would obtain my own IP service and ask them to cover part if not all of the cost. BTW, I am not an attorney and this is not legal advice.
Options
Re:New Apartment Networking Dilemma-Solution
2019-08-07 11:12:45 - last edited 2022-02-15 06:54:27

To protect the security of the local network, try to create a complicated wireless password for the wireless network;

For the local web page of the main router, create a password for it, and disable the remote management and turn on the firewall or antivirus or so.

While considering it is a private LAN IP address, per Archer C8 said, you can contact the property owner to negotiate it. 

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 826

Replies: 2

Related Articles