How to block VPN on Wifi Routers

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

How to block VPN on Wifi Routers

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
17 Reply
Re:How to block VPN on Wifi Routers
2020-01-08 07:57:24

Following further research I've concluded it's not possible to block X-VPN and other stealth VPNs by simple port blocking.  They use encryption techniques to send their control traffic over other protocol channels such as SMTP, which you simply cannot block without causing yourself some loss of service and onconvenience.  A much more sophisticated packet filtering capability is required, only found in high-end routers. A school or business might be able to afford one but not me at home.

Ref. https://unit42.paloaltonetworks.com/evasion-of-security-policies-by-vpn-clients-poses-great-risk-to-network-operators/

Basically, we are screwed, there are no viable packet filtering parental controls anymore.  Best bet is to enrol your child's android phone in sonething like Google family, and lock it down before they get the chance to install anything. 

Options
2020-05-27 07:46:51
You can stop such type of access. simple solution i found is : 1. copy that mac address 2. set "control bandwidth" to minimum for that address and enjoy :)
Options
2020-07-06 23:29:49

@Autumn13 disable PPP Connection.

Options
2020-09-01 21:12:01

@Colubrid 

I have the AC4000 Wi-fi Router. My I child know how to use VPN and browse using the websites using VPN connestions. I would like to know how block the VPN connections. I see that disabling PPP Connections worked for you. I didn't see any PPP settings on my router guide. Can you please help to share the steps on how to disable?

Options
2020-09-03 14:45:09
Let me put my issue in more detail. I have installed the tether installed on my iphone and using the parental control profiles I can add filters to block different categories like Audult Content, Gaming, Online Communication etc., My child using the VPN connections on ipad to surf the web. There is no categort thay blocks VPN stuff. So I would like to know how to block the VPN connections on my network? The Circle app (netgear) has the special category - VPN so no one can use the VPN sites if we block that category. I am no sure why tplink didn't provide a such category. I read some people are talking on how to do this using router settings, but I don't have the steps to do so. Any help is appreciated.
Options
2020-11-01 10:36:40

@Zaphod66 how do you do that? I have an Archer (AC7) 

Options
Re:Re:How to block VPN on Wifi Routers
2021-11-26 02:55:35

@AshAsh tell me the procedure how to block when i know the mac address.

Options
Related Articles