question on wireless bridge setup

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2012-12-20 14:16:09
Region : Others

Model : TL-WR543G

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I have a TP-link WR641G router, with which I would like to set up a wireless bridge with another router of mine. When I go to the settings and check off "enable bridges", I get a message that says that the bridge does not support WPA-PSK / WPA2-PSK and that I need to change it to WEP. I am not that knowledgeable with networks, but am I not compromising my whole network by changing the security settings to WEP on this router? WEP is easily cracked, so can't someone work their way down the network once they hack in? Is there a way around this?
Thank you
Options
4 Reply
Re:question on wireless bridge setup
2012-12-20 14:27:13
The bridge of WR641G cannot support WPA ?
Options
2012-12-20 14:58:24

Kane wrote

So what does that mean as far as security? Would I have to set my other router for WEP? If not what sort of security issues will have to be addressed as a result of using WEP for this router? All the computers connected to the WR641G router are wired, so this really does not directly affect them. But the bridge itself is worrying me.
Options
2012-12-20 15:58:55

Kane wrote

Yes, the WR641G cannot support WPA when it is in bridge mode.
Options
2012-12-20 21:20:39

Lambo wrote

Yes, the WR641G cannot support WPA when it is in bridge mode.

So what you are basically saying is that although the WR641G supports a wireless bridge, one would need to be an idiot to use it because of security issues.
One last question. There was nothing in the specs that even hinted that the wireless bridge works only with WEP. How can one know these things before buying?
Thank you
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 685

Replies: 4

Related Articles