Poor performance

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Poor performance

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Poor performance
Poor performance
2019-08-25 18:31:33 - last edited 2019-08-26 22:23:49
Model: EAP110-Outdoor  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 3.3

I wanted to extend my internet to a friend accross the road from me. Its about 100 feet. I have the eap110 outdoor access point. My internet is 150mbps connection. I have that connection going into the eap110 but the best I can achieve standing in front of the antennas is 12 to 15 mbps download on speedtest.net. My friend ove the road is getting 5 bars on the laptop but playing movies it stops to buffer occasionally. Anybody got a solution to this. I downloaded and installed the latest firmware and it did make it slightly better. I was only getting 5 to 8 mbps before that.

I did contact TPLink about this and thats when I downloaded the latest firmware version. Thought maybe someone had a better idea.

Options
3 Reply
Re: Poor performance
2019-08-26 22:50:03

Could be caused by interferences. Things you can try:

• Select 20 MHz channel width.
  • Set 802.11n-only mode.
  • Use another channel (make a WLAN survey to find out best channel).

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
Re:Re: Poor performance
2019-08-27 00:19:24

Thankyou for the prompt reply.

I have it on 20 Mhz channel width.

I removed the omnidirectional antennas and fitted 2 Yagi directional antennas a couple of weeks ago and it improved it slightly. I did a wiFi survey today and it looks like it could be my own router that might be interferring with it. Across at my friends house they both are pretty close in power but the access point is just better. The problem with making it N only is that some of the laptops are still using G.

I moved the channel for the access point to 9 and the router to 2 and it seems to have improved slightly again. I have the survey software on my phone but it wont take a screenshot for some reaso or I would send you a picture of the nework map.

There are other routers in the area but not as strong a signal as the access point. most are on either channel 11 or 3 and 6. 8 was clear so I used that.

Dave

Options
Re: Poor performance
2019-08-27 01:25:56 - last edited 2019-08-27 02:01:40

One problem with exchanging antennas is the EIRP - make sure you don't violate the max. EIRP (not a technical issue, but a legal issue).

I don't know what beam width your yagi antennas have, but even directional antennas are sensitive to interferences, especially on channel 9, which is used by many other customer devices such as DECT phones, bluetooth, garage door controls, TV transmitters, remote controls , microwave ovens etc. Such devices can't be detected since they don't send a SSID.

Next problem is the signal strength of the remote client (your friend's laptop). This could explain low throughput because there is no free line of sight leading to high attenuation of the signal of your friend's laptop and the distance of 40m is pretty much at the limit for 802.11b/g (~70m for 802.11n) for antennas of a laptop, even if there is a free LoS. Same is true for smartphone antennas.

In my experience directional links in 2.4 GHz band behave much worser than in the 5 GHz band (depends on the country you're living in). For example, on a 5 GHz directional link over 600 meters in Europe I reach up to 85 Mbps full-duplex data throughput, which is pretty good in a 802.11n WLAN (wireless speed 300 Mbps yields ~210 Mbps data speed half-duplex in 802.11n, which gives 105 Mbs full-duplex max. throughput in theory). See this story here - it's a directional link with Pharos devices, not an EAP-Outdoor, but it demonstrates the difference between the 5 GHz vs. 2.4 GHz band. I did first tests with 1x pair of 5 GHz CPEs and 1x pair of 2.4 GHz CPEs simultaneously, then replaced them by 2x pairs of 5 GHz CPEs. Using 2.4 GHz devices on this directional link the throughput did go down to 3-4 Mbps just due to interferences (~140 APs inside the 65º antenna beam width, all competing for AirTime).

Even EAP225-Outdoor mesh networks use a 5 GHz channe for connecting the nodes of the mesh. Maybe, two meshed EAP225-Outdoor could increase throughput dramatically on your link compared to one EAP110-Outdoor and a laptop used indoor. Or you try two CPE510, which would fit better for just a P2P link if no outdoor omni antennas are needed at all.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2014

Replies: 3

Related Articles