How to force Archer T6E 1300AC to prefer 5GHz over 2.4GHz?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

How to force Archer T6E 1300AC to prefer 5GHz over 2.4GHz?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
16 Reply
Re:How to force Archer T6E 1300AC to prefer 5GHz over 2.4GHz?
2020-08-10 17:24:19

@djookz 

• Right click windows logo in lower right bar
  • Choose "Device Manager"
  • Expand Network adapters
  • Right click the "TP-LINK 802.11ac" device and choose "Properties"
  • Click the "Advanced" tap and in "Property:" find "Band Preference"
  • Choose "Prefer 802.11a"

That did it for me without any need for special drivers or any other settings.

(I am using Google Nest, which is nice but is truly limited in the advanced settings department.)

Options
Re:How to force Archer T6E 1300AC to prefer 5GHz over 2.4GHz?-Solution
2020-09-22 13:27:24 - last edited 2021-07-27 08:15:11
I switched the band preference to 802.11a as you said and so far that worked perfectly! You have no idea how thrilled I was to find your answer after having so many issues!
Recommended Solution
Options
2021-09-16 19:33:38

@djookz All of these are great replies. I found another solution that may help. If your wifi router has a combined 5ghz and 2ghz band in a single SSID name, I had some success forcing it to prefer the 5ghz band with faster speeds.

First try setting the "Prefer 802.11a"

Credit to @Frakke 

• Right click windows logo in lower right bar
  • Choose "Device Manager"
  • Expand Network adapters
  • Right click the "TP-LINK 802.11ac" device and choose "Properties"
  • Click the "Advanced" tap and in "Property:" find "Band Preference"
  • Choose "Prefer 802.11a"

That did it for me without any need for special drivers or any other settings.

(I am using Google Nest, which is nice but is truly limited in the advanced settings department.)

Then in that same menu:

• Select "2G Bandwidth Capability" setting (Near the top of the property tab)
  • Choose the value to be "2.4G: 20MHz"

This gave me much faster speeds on my 5ghz band than before. I think this setting forces all 2.4ghz connections to be exclusive to the 20MHz band leaving 40MHz to be exclusive to 5ghz connections. Definitely worth a shot for much faster speeds

Options
2021-09-22 07:01:15

@djookz ...Well that's odd to me, because i would like to know how to stop it continuously trying to connect to 5G,    having really annoying constant disconnects i wanted to know if these problems persist on the 2.4 wave band, but it seems that's not possible even if i select auto connect on the 2,4 and disconnect the 5g

tried everything i can think of btw, still getting same issues with different reported errors...."can't find default gateway" being the main message, ... changed the router,  tried reinstalling network drivers   T6E drivers etc.....still the same issue no matter what, continuous short term disconnects i'd estimate maybe up to 50 times a day.....and get this, this all started after a major windows update 6-12 months ago    (the one which removed adobe flash player from the windows os)

If anyone has any decent suggestions i have not tried, i'm all ears, getting desperate at the stage even tried changing the power settings  reset the IP settings in cmd prompt, and everything else in betwen, , i  should add i'm the only device on the local network encountering this problem all the other devices connected to the same router/hub,   have no problems

thx for reading.

Options
2021-09-25 02:35:27
this is what i tried and is working till now. if your router has 5ghz on 80Mhz band, change it to 20/40Mhz. with standard Asus drivers as suggested in this forum, its working now.
Options
2021-12-18 16:49:45

@Birdie21 Thank you SO MUCH for this. This is the perfect solution to the problem.

Cheers!

Options