Wireless problem with new TL-WDR3600

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Wireless problem with new TL-WDR3600

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
73 Reply
Re:Wireless problem with new TL-WDR3600
2013-03-06 06:11:06
OK, I spoke too soon.

Before I switched on this PC (wired), I had a Nokia Win7 phone and a Moto tablet (ICS) connected wirelessly, but my Moto ICS phone briefly sees the router when I scan but then the SSID disappears. My HP Wireless printer which was connecting when I switched to TKIP no longer works. I've now updated to the latest firmware and same problem exists.

3.13.26 Build 130129 Rel.59449n

5G is switched off

2.4G
WDS is off
WPS is off
TKIP only
MAC filtering off
WMM off
HW NAT is off

everything else is default.

Any clues?
Options
2013-03-06 06:18:02
check this setting AP ISOLATION ?
File:
Ashampoo_Snap_2013.03.05_22h15m45s_006_.jpgDownload
Options
2013-03-06 18:34:17

brianzion wrote

check this setting AP ISOLATION ?

AP Isolation is off (which is default setting)
Options
2013-03-06 18:46:55
have you tried turning off wireless security and reboot devices/router?
Options
2013-03-06 20:04:04

brianzion wrote

have you tried turning off wireless security

With all due respect, why on earth would I want to do that? WiFi has enough security holes (especially since I've already reduced the security settings to TKIP) without disabling it altogether. This is something I'm not willing to do for any length of time I'm afraid, nor should I be expected to either.

What would I achieve in doing this? If this is for troubleshooting, then please explain.

and reboot devices/router?

You mean follow Emergency Procedure Number 1. And yes, I've also checked that the devices are all plugged in too.

Let me reiterate, Wired is fine. Peachy. No problems whatsoever.

Wireless (2.4G) is problematic at best. All wireless devices I own have at some point during my use of the 3600 connected succesfully. However, all wireless devices have at some point failed to connect, even when there have been no changes in either Router or Device configuration.
Options
2013-03-06 20:14:56
some security types of encryption do not work on some devices so if you tried it without security just to see if it may be a issue its worth a try most people i work with and friends use WPA2-PSK AES ?

To give that a little more detail (and in order of preference):
WPA2 - currently the most secure. It should be available on almost all newer devices.
[*][FONT=inherit !important]WPA[/FONT] - there are some exploits that have made it to the proof of concept stage, however, currently they are not practical for hackers to make anything useful of. Of course that could change, but today I would not hesitate to use WPA if WPA2 were not an option.
[*]WEP - on the other hand, WEP has been exploited to the point where it's almost as good as no encryption at all. ONLY use this if you have some device that will communicate no other way, and then treat this entire [FONT=inherit !important]wireless[/FONT] network as open. In fact, you might as well use no encryption to be explicit about the security state.
[*]No Encryption - also known as "open WiFi". You may notice that my home has two [FONT=inherit !important]wireless accesspoints[/FONT]: one encrypted with WPA2, and one open for guests and casual users. These networks are isolated from each other. An open WiFi access point should be used with care, and only if you're prepared to have anyone in range connect to it.
So, wherever possible use WPA2 to keep your [COLOR=blue][FONT=inherit !important][FONT=inherit !important]network[/FONT] safe and secure.[/FONT]

Options
2013-03-06 20:59:50
ok....

So I use WPA2/AES and had these niggling 2.4G problems.

I switched to WPA(Auto setting for WPA1 and 2) and still had the problems

I though I had it cracked when I went for WPA(Auto...) but TKIP (which is not recommended) as at that point in time only my Wireless printer wasn't connecting and this fixed it.

Then the printer started failing to connect and since a FW upgrade was available for the router I installed it. Now I'm back with spurious 2.4G failures connecting to the router. Sometimes they connect but cannot route to the internet.... as per my OP.

Now I could degrade the security of the router even further, but I don't want to use an open connection, nor use WEP. That leaves me WPA1 or 2 as an option, and these don't work reliably on this new, modern router.

Since this seems to be an intermittent problem, that was never experienced on my previous crappy D-Link router on the same devices, I'm willing to bet that the problem is with the WDR-3600. Does TP-Link have a recommended parameter set that offers the most compatible support for device WiFis? Even at the risk of loss of performance (but NOT security).
Options
2013-03-06 21:33:56
sorry if i cant help contact tp link support direct you may get better help here >>> email http://goo.gl/yTQKe OR telephone http://goo.gl/WTZrB
Options
2013-03-06 21:43:07

brianzion wrote

mine works fine in duel band if you are not using the 5Ghz then turn it off no point broadcasting it and saves energy. there are not many devices that are using 5Ghz (apple do) you can buy wireless usb adapters (which i am using) and pci adapters. im sure in the future more devices will support it. in fact it works well as i have tried because it moves away from interference from 2.4Ghz which is over crowded with devices like mobile phones, cordless phones etc.
Don't want to be rude mate but I think you miss the point. I bought a dual band router because I HAVE 5ghz devices too. And WDR3600 is not the only one TP-Link router with this kind of issue. Clearly must be resolved by the producer. :)
Options
2013-03-06 21:54:50
i did write if you are not using the 5Ghz
[SIZE=2]contact tp link support im sure they will help.
[/SIZE]
Options
Related Articles