Wireless problem with new TL-WDR3600

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Wireless problem with new TL-WDR3600

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
73 Reply
Re:Wireless problem with new TL-WDR3600
2013-03-29 00:16:32
I finally received a response from Tech Support.

I am being advised to return the unit under warranty since they advised that there was no new firmware available and all the settings tried don't seem to make a different (even sent them the router config file for review).

So, I guess I'm SOL.
Options
2013-04-12 17:13:06

ajones wrote

I finally received a response from Tech Support.

I am being advised to return the unit under warranty since they advised that there was no new firmware available and all the settings tried don't seem to make a different (even sent them the router config file for review).

So, I guess I'm SOL.
New firmware is out. Now as guest network feature too. I'm out of country now so I can't test it now.
Hi xxxxxxx,

I hope you are doing good.

We have updated a new firmware recently for TL-WDR3600,
Could you please upgrade it and give it a try and see whether it will improve the wifi.
The link to download: (TL-WDR3600_V1_130320)
http://www.tp-link.com/en/support/download/?model=TL-WDR3600&version=V1#tbl_j

please feel free to let me know the result.

If you need any further help, please feel free to let me know.
To get technical support more quickly, please go to http://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq
Best Regards
---------------------------------------------
Beth FU
Technical Support Engineer
TP-LINK TECHNOLOGIES CO., LTD.
E-mail:beth.fu@tp-link.com
Options
2013-04-30 16:33:46
I downloaded the update when it was hosted, but baven't plucked up the courage to install it yet. It's a pain that the updates are destructive (i.e. do not maintain your settings during the install), would prefer a firmware upgrade path!

Still, must try it sometime, although I'm not holding my breath that this will fix my problem.
Options
2013-04-30 16:41:34

ajones wrote

I downloaded the update when it was hosted, but baven't plucked up the courage to install it yet. It's a pain that the updates are destructive (i.e. do not maintain your settings during the install), would prefer a firmware upgrade path!

Still, must try it sometime, although I'm not holding my breath that this will fix my problem.

the latest firmware for this router is critical it solves devices that were reported to keep losing connection plus other bugs its simple to do just means you have to re-enter your settings when its been updated trust me it makes a difference!
Options
2013-05-17 22:57:22
Well, the firmware may be considered critical as it fixes all sorts of things, but it doesn't help me.

The router is still steadfastly refusing to establish connections with some of my 2.4G wireless devices using any wireless security (work fine when I switch WEP or WPA off!) The biggest problem is that this includes my wireless printer!
Options
2013-05-22 17:45:31
Oh and to add to the message above if it gets posted. When the wifi is up (2.4Ghz) and i run a speedtest i get roughly 1.4mb up and 1.7 down on my crappy but better talktalk router i get 39.7mb up and 1.7 down, i will return it i think due to the amount of moaning belkin is the next step but will read reviews first!!!!!
Options
2013-05-23 05:52:59
Quick fix and wow what a speed difference in WiFi performance, install the DD-WRT firmware its brilliant ;-) shame you have to go to this length though
Options
2013-05-31 00:09:07
Which specific dd-wrt firmware did you use? You should be able to see it in the DD-wrt admin pages if you do not remember. Combing through the dd-wrt forums can be tough.
Options
2013-05-31 07:46:59

pjbtpl wrote

Which specific dd-wrt firmware did you use? You should be able to see it in the DD-wrt admin pages if you do not remember. Combing through the dd-wrt forums can be tough.

So we need to change the software to have a full dual band wifi? Sorry, but this is not a solution, is just a workaround (if it really works).
I've contacted again the customer service with other information after the last upgrade, I'm waiting a reply then I'll try OpenWRT or DDWRT to see if it worth lose the warranty.
Options
2013-09-15 21:02:31

fackinace wrote

Quick fix and wow what a speed difference in WiFi performance, install the DD-WRT firmware its brilliant ;-) shame you have to go to this length though

I've been running the DD-WRT on my 3600 for over 8 months now. Trust me, it does NOT solve all the issues. I don't have the wireless devices dropping offline "as much" anymore but I can't connect Xbox devices via wireless. There are problems with the security settings in auto mode that prevent it from connecting at all. So you either have to turn off security completely or connect it via a wired connection.

Regarding devices dropping offline it depends on what firmware you use too. The 05-27-2013-r21676 has been the most stable for me but every now and then (maybe once a week) some 5GHz devices still drop offline but they self heal after about 2 minutes. The latest 07-24-2013-r22118 however would cause some devices to drop offline nightly and sometimes even a couple times a night.
Options
Related Articles