Strong Signal - slow speeds

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2012-12-26 13:48:13
Region : Canada

Model : TL-WA830RE

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version :

ISP : Rogers

Hi there

I got the Wireless Range Extender today for christmas to give better wifi to my bedroom, which has a brick wall and generally gets 1-2 bars from our wifi. The range extender set-up fairly easily, and within no time I had full bars on my tablet in my room.

Problem is - I noticed even though my signal was strong, and my internet slightly faster it wasn't nearly what it should be for full strength signal. For netflix I was getting low-def video coming in when elsewhere in the house I'd get HD. I checked my download speeds - and they were a mere 300+ kbps (vs 150 without the extender).

I tried taking my tablet closer to my router, to the point where I would normally have full strength regardless of extender (like, next to my router) - and STILL my download speeds were no better. This was odd... I turned off the extender and bam - my d/l speed shot up to 19,000+ kbps while being next to the router as it should be.

So I have no idea why - but it appears the range extender is killing my download speed when I'm in range of it. Oddly enough - my upload speed DID go up when in range of the extender. That doesn't help my situation though.

Anyone heard of anything like it? Any suggestions? I'm close to just exchanging this thing for a different brand but would love to try to get it work first. Thanks!
Options
3 Reply
Re:Strong Signal - slow speeds
2012-12-27 09:12:00
The speed will be half of that on your original wireless network with repeater/extender.
Options
2012-12-27 10:48:51
I just purchased this item today and will do a review when I receive it. I have a 2 story 2300 square foot home and hoping it helps. Just for note signal and throughput are 2 totally different things. Same as being next to the router with the WAN cable removed. You will have great connectivity to the router but no internet.
Options
2015-11-30 11:49:09
Change wifi security to WPA or WPA2. Don't use WEP. That will dramatically slow connection.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 784

Replies: 3

Related Articles