How to determine if powerline backhaul is working on Deco P9?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

How to determine if powerline backhaul is working on Deco P9?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
135 Reply
Re:How to determine if powerline backhaul is working on Deco P9?
2020-05-23 07:53:08

@EagleKnight707 @trekmadone52sl 

You have to use vi to edit the /etc/config/wifi file.

The command is: vi /etc/config/wifi

Locate the line with the backhaul option enable and press the letter i on your keyboard to enable insert mode and change the value.

To Exit and save the config file press ESC key on the keyboard then press  : on your keyboard and type wq!

Make sure to watch the below tutorial how vi works before editing the file.

VI Tutorial

Options
2020-05-23 08:12:07

I am following this discussion with great interest. I ended up sending my P9's back due to all the issues I was having with them. 

What I find really frustrating and annoying is that users are having to mess around with Beta firmware and Telnet to get the flexibility from the P9 system that should be built into the App or a web interface. The flexibility is obviously there, but inaccessible to most people.

I have no doubt I could start again with another set of P9's, install the beta firmware and play around with Telnet. But why should I do TP-Link's job for them.

It is utterly disgraceful that they have put a product on teh market with such poor firmware and support. 

Options
2020-05-23 08:40:03

@worldofchico thanks for your input on this thread.

Ive upgrades _one_ of my Deco's to the newer firmware - it's not showing me any additional status in the app (iOS) - is that expected?

Will play with the WiFi backhaul settings later once I've upgraded the others.

Is there any way (via telnet or other) to check, per node, what the Wi-Fi/PLC signal strength/quality is like?

Is it possible to disable Wi-Fi and PLC all together and use only Ethernet for some nodes?

Options
2020-05-23 08:56:17

@ruu1989 

See below screenshot of my Deco App. I think that this will change after upgrading all of your deco units.

Options
2020-05-23 08:57:47
Thanks! I’ll get on upgrading the other 5 then 😂
Options
2020-05-23 09:05:12

@ruu1989 

I am really satisfied by the performance and the stability after upgrading to the beta 1.0.2 and disabling the WiFi backhaul.

My Decos have now been up and serving WiFi for more than a month without disruptions.

Options
2020-05-23 14:32:19

@ahambou @worldofchico 

ahambou wrote

@ruu1989 

I am really satisfied by the performance and the stability after upgrading to the beta 1.0.2 and disabling the WiFi backhaul.

My Decos have now been up and serving WiFi for more than a month without disruptions.

Thank you so much for your support!

After following your instructions in post #42 + #38i have all my decos now connected via plc only (as shown in the deco app) and for the past 2h, the wifi has been fast and stable in all locations of my home. I know that 2h is not really much, but it is more than i was able to achieve with wifi + plc backhaul.

I will give another update after 24 h, if i am still as satisfied as i am now.

btw: my main deco is running in "router mode" and after changing the "option enable" on "bachaul" to "0" on the main unit and using "saveconfig", all other decos automatically changed "option enable" to "0" as well when telneting into them one by one and using "cat etc/config/wifi". 

Options
2020-05-23 14:36:56

@trekmadone52sl 

You are more than welcome. I'm glad I could help :)

Options
2020-05-24 17:59:40

@ahambou 

As promised, a short update: After more than 24 h, everything is still fast and stable. I therefore consider my deco p9 issues as resolved. 

Options
2020-05-24 18:08:27

@trekmadone52sl 

Im glad that my solution worked for you :)

Options
Related Articles