How to determine if powerline backhaul is working on Deco P9?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

How to determine if powerline backhaul is working on Deco P9?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
135 Reply
Re:How to determine if powerline backhaul is working on Deco P9?
2020-05-24 18:09:37

So all we need now is for TP-Link to officially roll out the new firmware and build in additional user control into the App so we can force things like powerline backhaul without having to resort to Telnet.

Such a shame they didn't sort all this on release. If the functionality had been there from Day 1, I wouldn't have returned mine to Amazon for a refund. 

Options
2020-05-24 18:14:31

@lohr500 

I have already informed TP-Link about the issue and my solution. I hope that they will fix it in a future firmware release.

Options
2020-05-25 06:54:28

@ahambou 

Thank you very much. Ive been looking but couldn't find anythin. Again thanks for the info!

Options
2020-05-25 06:59:55

@ahambou 

Yes thanks i think tplink should fire all of their incompetent engineers and hire you. It only took you less than a month to fix most of these expensive so called mesh router and tplink cant even put out an official firmware in what a year? Bunch of IDIOTS! The tplink engineers!

Options
2020-05-25 07:54:13

@EagleKnight707 Agree completely. The TP-Link senior management team should be ashamed with themselves.

Options
2020-05-25 08:28:22

I just bought a three-pack P9 and am running into all the issues described in this thread.

I wish I had found this thread before purchase.

The question I have is where have all the positive reviews come from? Before purchase I read several sources like PC magazine and Teck Advisor and they all sai this product had solid stable performance. Did tp-link just pay these guys for the articles rather than pay for quality engineering?

I am very disappointed and will never purchase another tp-link product.

Options
2020-05-25 18:26:28

@EagleKnight707 

You are welcome :)

Options
2020-05-26 11:25:26

@worldofchico 

First thanks

@worldofchico @ post 38

For those who need a user-friendly interface for his solution:

• you can use SSH Explorer – there is a 30 Day free trial
  • Deco P9 beta has to be installed
  • Install SSH Explorer on your computer
  • In the connect press new (type a name, ip for your Deco unit, protocol telnet, authentication type password)
  • When you connect do not type anything at user and pass, press enter
  • You will see the folder structure of your Deco firmware

If you have a www folder with webpages you might have a web interface for your units:

http://192.168.68.1/webpages/index.html

in case you changed the ip of our main unit, change the ip in the link. It has few options but you can see and pull error logs.

In SSH Explorer navigate to

/etc/config

Right click on wifi and chose “edit file in Vi”

Scroll to config backhaul backhaul

At the option enable press I on your keyboard – change to 0 then delete 1

Now you have to save the modification

Press esc then “:” Write your file by entering :w and quit by entering :q . You can combine these to save and exit by entering :wq

You can reboot the unit from the deco app. The modifications will stay for reboot/restart

My units were working fine on the same level, but placing one on the lower floor made the whole system unstable. I will check the stability with this option on. So far seems to be working.

I have 2 devices with connections issues in the Deco network. One is an IoT (RGB Led Controller Magic Home) which is not reachable after some minutes and a Grunding TV which can not join the network.

Just as a notice - in the beta firmware the parental profiles do not load in the deco app. If you do not want to tweak the through telnet you sould delete them before update.

Any idea what I might tweak in settings to have them work?

I also regret buying this units and I can not follow all those good test reviews. It seems that this model has problem connecting to some legacy devices wich support only 2.4 G, and more problematic, they are instable in arbitrary network geometries. 

Options
2020-05-26 11:47:59 - last edited 2020-05-26 11:48:28

@Kook 

About the 2 devices facing connection issues have you tried disabling the Fast Roaming on Deco units?

I had the same issue with a wireless camera and the issue was solved by disabling Fast Roaming.

Options
2020-05-26 12:24:46

@ahambou 

Out of curiosity. If you disable Fast Roaming, then the camera connects. You remove the Mesh option for it in the App, and you re-enable Fast Roaming. Does it still work?

Options
Related Articles