How to determine if powerline backhaul is working on Deco P9?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

How to determine if powerline backhaul is working on Deco P9?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
135 Reply
Re:How to determine if powerline backhaul is working on Deco P9?
2020-11-17 12:29:04

@TP-Link_Deco 

I am sorry but this simply isn't good enough. Your customers are telling you that your solution is not working and are requesting a perfectly reasonable manual configuration option in the app. 

Listen to your customers. We know what we want and we know the level of customisation and control we expect over our networking devices. We have purchased a mesh wifi system with powerline functionality (as opposed to the many other non-powerline mesh wifi solutions out there) for a reason. Give us control over that functionality. 

If your developers actually knew what they were doing and what your customers expected of your products you would not have shipped the Deco app without WPS functionality. 

Cut the arrogance. We are trying to help you make your products better, and our giving our time and our opinions for free. Make use of that. 

Options
2020-11-17 12:35:15

@TDH85 

I agree with you totally. It does seem that nobody at tp-link is listening. 

Options
2020-11-20 16:21:50

Agree with everything that has been said on this thread. I have had issues with WIFI signal around the house for many years, not because of thick walls, but that the angle of the signal to the router makes the walls 'thicker'. I went to powerline adapters very early which gave me good signal all over the house. However, roaming was the problem.. the Deco P9 seemed to be the obvious solution. Placing the 2 slave units (showing 1/2 bars) resulted in max throughput of 20 mb/s as opposed to 120+ from the main unit. They refused to communicate over the powerline backhaul and were intermittently showing offline. Since I still have my original powerline adapters, I have put those back in and am using those as an ethernet backhaul. While this is a solution, not everyone has powerline adapters and as the Deco P9 was supposed to overcome low strength WIFI, I can only say the product has been mis-sold. Come on TP-Link - sort your game out ... you have a market leading solution that you seem to have intentionally 'crippled' .. or does the powerline backhaul even work as advertised? If so, make the change to the firmware/app so that users can manually change the default backhaul to Powerline rather than WIFI. 

Options
2020-11-20 17:48:01

@Squidge123 

Spot on! 

The biggest irony for me is I actually SOLD my full set of over 6 triple ethernet socket TP-link powerline adaptors because I figured that I didn't need them due to the Deco P9 having powerline built in. 

Now I'm kicking myself! 

🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

Options
2020-12-01 14:00:25
Is there a beta coming with the option to disable wifi backhaul? Looks like another poster mentioned being a beta tester for it. If so I would like to also be a tester as I am having issues with brick walls and intermittent wifi signal. Also, quick question. Does the wifi backhaul only use 5g or does it also use 2.4??
Options
2020-12-01 17:58:23

@TP-Link_Deco 

Hey there, it seems that I'm not the only one without a solution. Can you guys provide a firmware where we can chose plc backhaul only?

I opened a ticket and got the support team to do something (?!) and didn't solve my issue... 

Thanks

Options
2020-12-01 18:26:34

@LCunha 

It seems that the Powerline backhaul is not the only thing not working - support seem unable to view or respond to forums, perhaps they are using their own hardware? Pretty unacceptable to be honest.

Options
2021-01-05 10:51:22

Hi,

I'm bumping this thread because I'm also not satisfied by not beeing able to chose the backhaul connection.

Besides the latency issues when connected to satellite, should we not be concerned that the beam feature might degrade the wifi range when the focus is given to the other deco?

Options
2021-01-05 11:07:39

I've given up waiting for TP-Link to sort out the basic functionality requirements on the P9.

I abandoned the idea of Powerline backhaul after trying various other competitor products.

Despite the thick walls in my house I am getting good results now with the BT Whole Home WFi mesh product. 

It is fairly basic and still requires the old router to be used (The BT disks are more like mesh access points) but I am getting excellent coverage throughout the house.

One needs to be connected to the main router all the time. Others can either use wifi for backhaul or can be connected to an ethernet network port if available for teh backhaul. There is only one ethernet socket per disk though, so if the socket is being used for backhaul, it means no other ethernet device can be connected to the disk to access the network. I have  the main disk connected to my router (with wi-fi disabled on the router to avoid any clashes), one connected by ethernet and two connected by wi-fi.

Touch wood, after two months of using the new system it has never dropped any connections or given any problems.

Options
2021-02-21 08:30:25

I am also waiting for the feature to disable Wifi Backhaul, the connection when both PLC and Wifi are ON seems unstable if Wifi Mesh is low signal or unstable. 

Options
Related Articles