Browsing certain website could crash the router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-11-16 06:47:18 - last edited 2019-12-13 01:07:14
Model: TL-WR941HP  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.0.1 Build 20171225 Rel. 60160

Suddenly my TL-WR941HP router could crash itself when I browse this website: http://psref.lenovo.com/

The router will restart itself when it happens. I can't find anything useful from the router's system logs. I only see this bunch of message logs: "[3518] Relax. Now CPU usage is PTW, Memory usage is PSV". What does it mean?

The issue happens on both wifi and wired connections from any connected devices (laptop, pc, phone) to the router. The router itself is connected to cable internet modem. There is no crash issue if I use direct wired connection from my pc/laptop to the modem.

The strange thing is the crash only happens at night, and it doesn't happen at everyday though. But the issue had been happening in span of recent 2 weeks.

I had tried resetting the router to factory default and tweaked some of the router settings, but nothing helps, the crash still happens. I also had updated the firmware to latest version. I had been using this router for 2 years and the router runs 24/7.

Anyone know what is the cause of this issue and the possible solution?

I googled about it and there are people mention this could be a power issue from the charger, but I had tried swapping the charger with another charger, and I also had tried plugging the charger into another power outlet, but the crash still could happen.

I'm thinking this could be router's firmware bug where the request to certain website somehow could overload the router and results in crash.

Options
20 Reply
Re:Browsing certain website could crash the router
2019-11-17 13:28:52
Is your firmware up to date? This is one of the TP-Link routers that had the WPA2 (KRACKs) vulnerability.
Options
2019-11-17 15:42:13
Yes, the firmware had been updated to the latest version (2.0.1 Build 20171225 Rel. 60160). I did mention about it on the original post.
Options
2019-11-17 17:46:14
Sorry, I missed that. Did this start happening when you updated the firmware? It does seen to point to the router since different devices can cause the issue. Have you found any other sites that cause the issue? Did anything else change just prior to this issue such as new devices not only WIFI/connected but also any wireless devices not connected to WIFI or electrical devices such as a new microwave? As for the A/C power, was the plugs you tested on different circuit breakers? Is the router on a UPS? If so, try without. Can you try a different power adapter that is rated the same? Are you running any extenders or repeaters or such? Can you can borrow another router and see if the issue continues to happen?
Options
2019-11-17 18:07:53 - last edited 2019-11-17 18:25:38

@ArcherC8 

> Did this start happening when you updated the firmware?

It happened before and after updated the firmware.

> Have you found any other sites that cause the issue?

So far only that website. I will give update if I find new site.

> Did anything else change... ?

Nope, nothing suspicious. I don't use UPS for the router, and I don't use extender or repeater.

> Can you try a different power adapter that is rated the same?

I had tried it, nothing changes. I'm thinking to test it with 2A adapter (the current one is 1.5A), but I'm not sure if the lack of power is the culprit.

> Can you can borrow another router and see if the issue continues to happen?

I have another TP-link router (it's older model, I forgot the model name). I tested it and there is no crash issue with this router when I browsed that website.

The only hint about the issue is the bunch of router's message logs "[3518] Relax. Now CPU usage is PTW, Memory usage is PSV" that were shown before the router crashed. In the normal days when the crash issue doesn't happen, there are no such message logs shown at all. I hope anyone from TP-Link can explain what does this message log mean.

Also, all router's LED will flash for a moment when the crash happened, after that only the PWR LED will blink, which means the router is restarting.

Options
2019-11-18 13:19:30

@hendiro

I do not know what those messages mean either.

Found this thread https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/forum/topic/110360 on high CPU issue.

Another longshot - Also try replacing the cable between the router and the modem.

Options
2019-11-18 16:41:32

@ArcherC8 

I can't find anything related from your link, he had different router model and no crash issue on him.

Already tried using different cable, still crashed too.

Options
2019-11-18 19:52:32

@hendiro The point of the link was the USB drive was causing the router's CPU to max out.  Yes, different model of TP-Link.

Options
2019-11-18 20:07:23

@ArcherC8 My router doesn't have usb drive feature.

Options
2019-11-19 14:17:10

@hendiro Check the IPv6 to see if it is working. Use a tool such as https://test-ipv6.com/ or one of the others that can be found on the internet. I wonder if that site is IPv6.

Options
2019-11-19 14:21:37 - last edited 2019-11-19 14:21:57

I got this result from https://test-ipv6.com/:

* No IPv6 address detected.

* You appear to be able to browse the IPv4 Internet only. You will not be able to reach IPv6-only sites.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3713

Replies: 20