Deco P7 connected wifi with strong signal but no/very low connection. (device/system specific)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco P7 connected wifi with strong signal but no/very low connection. (device/system specific)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-11-24 14:55:26
Model: Deco P7  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.3.1 Build 20190704 Rel. 46693

I bought 4pcs of P7 for my home at end of Aug this year and they were working fine for 1-2 months. However, we noticed 2 issues as below.

1) Sine recent weeks the internet connection is very poor with my iPhone 7 (latest iOS 13.2.3). The wifi icon on my iPhone 7 shows full bar but no internet connection or below 1Mbps on speedtest.net. While sometimes the iPhone 7 can reach around 15Mbps, my other deives like iPhone 6, iPad mini 5, iPhone 11 Pro, and Mac mini can consistently reach over 30Mbps at the same location. There are around 30 wifi devices at my home and this issue is only happening with my iPhone 7 only when it is not connected to the main Deco.

For the 1st issue, I have tried to troubleshoot as following:

- Connected the iPhone 7 to other wifi networks, no issue found. (confirmed no issue the iPhone 7 wifi)

- Forget the wifi network and connect as new, problem persists.

- Restore and updated iOS on my iPhone 7 to factory settings and setup as new, problem persits.

- Reset all 4 Decos and setup the home network with default settings, problem persists.

- Turning off the modem and let it to release the dynamic IP before connecting to the main Deco, problem persists.

- Changing the name of each Deco to "1" "2" "3" "4" to ioslate naming issue, problem persists.

- Swapping between Decos as main Deco, problem persists.

2) 3 days ago, we noted there is no internet connection on our MacBook when running on Windows 10. It shows connected to the wifi network with full bar signal but no internet connection at all or extremly slow which takes around 1 mintue to fully load up google main page. But there is no issue when running on Mac OS on the same MacBook. Firstly we thought the issue is from Windows but noted the same behaviour on my Mac mini as well and again only on Windows 10. I did not change any settings on the Windows 10 on Mac mini as I don't use Windows normally and the internet was running perfectly fine few weeks ago. This issue only happened with these 2 devices and not on the rest of the devies like Smart TV, IP cameras, Andriod phones, iPhones at home.

For the 2nd issue, I have tried to troubleshoot as following:

- Connected the affected systems to wifi hotspot from mulitple phones, no issue found. (confirmed no issue with the wifi under Windows 10)

- Connected the affected system to Deco using ethernet cable, no issue found. (confirmed issue only with wifi connection)

- Updated all updates availibe when accessing internet via ethernet cable, problem persits after update.

- Forget the wifi network and connect as new, problem persists.

- Remove the wifi driver on the Windows 10 and reinsatll the driver again, problem persists.

- Reset all Decos and only connect one Deco to internet modem, problem persists.

- Turning off the modem and let it to release the dynamic IP before connecting to the main Deco, problem persists.

- Manually key in DNS Servers that listed from my iPad mini suggested list, able to access internet on Mac mini only but slow.

From what I have found from this community and ineternet, also the time of updating firmware on all my Decos. Most likely the issue is from the firmware on the Decos. Please help to follow up these issues. Thank you.

Options
6 Reply
Re:Deco P7 connected wifi with strong signal but no/very low connection. (device/system specific)
2019-12-11 21:21:46

@sgkean 

hello Sir! I have exaclty the same problem after firmware upgrade with my iPhone 7. My wife's iPhone XS was working fine until yesterday. The only possibily to connect to the Internet is to place P7 Deco in the room where you actually are... when I am behind the wall made with bricks my wifi shows full signal but speedtest.net is failing... 

I tried full troubleshooting as described above with no success. This is definitely a firmware upgrade issue as previously I was able to use P7 wifi even when outside of home. Currently its functionality is extremly limitted. I am thinking of sending it back to Amazon.  

Options
Re:Deco P7 connected wifi with strong signal but no/very low connection. (device/system specific)
2019-12-14 04:14:25

@Klaudiusz I've spent days with TP Link technicals for remote troubleshooting. However, they couldn't find where the issue from while all the settings and status have no issue! What they said were this is a capatability issue even the same computer is connecting to internert well on Mac OS.

They also downgraded the Deco firmware for me but problem persists. I am pretty much stuck now because I cannot return to the seller after using for 3 months and spent much of money.

Hopefully TP Link can fix this common issue soon.

Options
2019-12-14 05:19:08

@sgkean 

thank you for sharing. Do you have iPhone? disable bluetooth and check again. What I found is that most of the issues is on 2.4ghz wifi. Disabling blietooth helps for a while as well. 

Options
2019-12-17 12:42:29
Thank you for your tips. You're right, the wifi performance immediately gets back to normal once the wifi is off. But it is not an ultimately solution yet because I need to use my AirPods and Apple Watch via bluetooth.
Options
2019-12-17 12:46:17

@sgkean 

i agree. Disabling bluetooth or power off apple watch os resolving the issue. What a mess...

Options
2019-12-22 10:23:51

@sgkean 

hey! I finally resolved my issue. The problem is obly on 2.4ghz. So I creted a guest wifi network on Deco. Secured with password. This new network is 5ghz only. I do not face issues with wifi anymore. 

it is al caused by the apple watch/ mesh incompability. When apple watch get connected to the network it ruins everything. It happen when i get a new formwsre. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1551

Replies: 6