Deco P9 - WiFi Issues, Intermittent Connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco P9 - WiFi Issues, Intermittent Connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
77 Reply
Re:Deco P9 - WiFi Issues, Intermittent Connection
2020-04-07 09:02:41

@JR4 I just posted a new post with similar problems using P7 but it sounds pretty much the same sort of problem just that it has been working without problems for some months. Now I am suffering daily internet disconnections

Options
2020-04-09 07:42:20
I too am in a similar position and felt I had to post on the forum for the first time. I have a lot of Deco P9s and suffer daily internet disconnections for no good reason. It’s totally random and clearly a firmware issue of the Decos. I have waited extremely patiently for a fix but I am reaching the end of my tether and will be returning the devices to amazon for a refund. I’m really disappointed as I had a lot of faith in TP-Link and a customer for years but the lack of firmware updates for the P9 and the constant delay tactics leads me to believe that there is a problem with the hardware and a fix is unlikely to be available at all.
Options
2020-04-12 12:26:28

@JR4 

Hi

I have similiar issues with my P9 (x3).

I have tried everything suggested in this thread to fix the issue. Nothing works. I still have issues every day. Randomly my devices are unable to connect to the internet trough P9 WiFi mesh and only thing that fixes the issue temporarily is to reboot or take wifi off and back on from the device several times. Rebooting P9 works too. Internet works ok for most of the devices, even through P9. Its just that randomly some devices are not working while others work.The issue is really similiar to IP conflict but none of the devices indicate any IP issues (I also tested static ip adresses based on mac addresses so I doubt its IP related). It seems to me that the issue happens more often to devices that are near secondary P9's.

I have following devices:

Telewell router, three P9 access points, two pc computers, one laptop, four mobile phones, one tablet, two TV's, robot vacuum cleaner, Philips hue hub, Telldust tellstick, rasberry

To minimize the issue I ended up using P9 as an access point and connecting all important devices directly wired to Telewell router. One pc is wired to main P9 and that works relatively ok. Telewell has WiFi too so I have almost gone full circle back to square one where I only have Telewell. The only reason I bought P9 was to extend WiFi little further to yard, carage and utility area of my house with the power line connection between the P9's. Funny thing is, after all the trouble I don't even know if the powerline data works because the app is too simplified and there is no information about the connection speeds between the P9's (or any usefull logging features that would help to solve this issue).

For a long time I thought it was my setup and I spent so many hours to fix it but after reading this thread I'm convinced that its not my setup, its the product that is the problem.  If anyone is having similiar issues and you can still refund, don't think twice. After all its over 4 months from the 1st issue reports and no progress on the solution, no firmware or app updates either.

Options
2020-04-12 13:55:53

[Resolved] - possibly....

Hi All, I think I have resolved my Internet connection issues with the Deco 9 units. I have moved the power plug of my Main unit to a wall socket rather than using a power strip. Since doing this last week I have not had a loss of internet, where previously it was dropping once or twice a day. All 3 units are using power direct from the wall and the mesh is working well. Hope it helps.

Options
2020-04-12 15:02:52 - last edited 2020-04-13 13:49:59

@Kevin_Z : Exact same issue as the others. Started own thread to troubleshoot my specific setup: https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/203200?page=1

You will find in that post my Network Topology and all answers to questions you ask earlier in this thread.

Options
2020-04-12 16:08:57

@Sherv My firmware says it is current and up to date @ 1.0.2 Build 20190917 Re. 71168  But in other posts it shows latest firmware is @ 1.0.4   what is the correct firmware version and why is it stating it is current if it isnt?

Options
2020-04-13 13:33:53

@JR4 I just installed the 3 pack of P9 in router mode a few days ago and directly connected it into wall socket (No Longer in Surge protector) and have 2 more Additional repeaters on the way.  I have noticed that it constantly is dropping Wifi and the units appear online (Blue Light) and App shows Online. But i need to go into TV and reset Wifi to reconnect, i really noticed this yesterday (Rainy day on Sunday) when we tried to watch a movie it would discoonnect about every 45 60 min. so frustrating cant even watch a movie.

If I dont get any useful information to resolve this in the next 48 hours i will be returning this unit and the oadditional ones on there way here now.

Options
2020-04-14 07:20:12

@DavidCL 

My firmware is 1.0.2 Build 20190917 Rel. 71168 too - P9's.  It says it is up to date.

A couple of things i have also noticed.

- Fast Roaming will not enable.  I click the switch and it just goes straight back to disabled.

- More often than not a hard re-boot of an affected device (e.g. laptop) resolves the problem, or in the case of an iphone turning wifi off and back on again. The same is true for the xbox which in my case is wired to a P9 - a full reboot of the device restores connectivity.  i.e. completely disconnecting a device from the network and reconnecting it resolves the connection problem.

- I have no monthly reporting - despite it being switched on.  Says it fails to load.  Never checked before so no idea if this ever worked.

I'm finally resigned toi the fact i am going to have to re-invest in a traditional powerline setup (that is reliable).  I so wish i hadn't sold my devolo setup so quickly.  Very frustrating.

Options
2020-04-15 20:03:33

@JR4 

To all those who have commented recently asking if anyone is looking into this issue.  As well as posting here I also raised a parallel ticket with the TP-Link support team and they have been assisting with a number of suggestions.  We have confirmed all the devices are working properly and we are now trying a beta firmware (so far successfully)- some of the actions I have completed have been very technical but I feel we are making progress and recommend that you do the same.

Cheers

Options
2020-04-16 07:55:59

@Murph 

thanks for your update. Ok I will try this parallel action too. But it is troubling to think a device that should just be plug and go requires hours of personal effort to get working properly.  But if I can can contribute to getting a resolution assisting support for the benefit of all so be it.  Thanks to you for your approach and persistence to find a resolution.

Options
Related Articles