Deco P9 - WiFi Issues, Intermittent Connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco P9 - WiFi Issues, Intermittent Connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
77 Reply
Re:Deco P9 - WiFi Issues, Intermittent Connection
2020-04-16 07:58:53

@Neil-S 

I completely agree and I hope that by helping support I can get to a fix for people.

Options
2020-04-16 08:37:21

@Neil-S Hi, the technical support team send me the firmware "Deco P9_V1_190422" that as far I can see is older than de on installed, in my cas "1.0.0 Build 20190422 Rel. 11219".

Can you please check if the version you are using and seems to be stable is that one? How can you update firmware? I don't know hot to do it.

Thanks in advance.

Options
2020-04-17 08:40:41

@OznXzar 

I think your message is for Murph.  I have not had new firmware sent to me to install - and i suspect its a command line type of install as the UI of the software is limited to say the least.

My firmware (which says it is up to date) is 1.0.2 Build 20190917 Rel 71168.

Options
2020-04-17 17:15:27

@JR4 Hello,

i've the same issue with FW fersion 1.0.4 Build 20191117 rel. 66543.

Do you have fast roaming enabled in your Deco?

Options
2020-04-17 18:12:36

@OznXzar 

Hi

I am using a 20200115 build so pretty new.  Unfortunately it is not perfect, the problem is with the support team to look at; hopefully they will be able to do something.

The firmware can be updated through the app, but pushing a beta version on is a bit trickier and needs an app from support.

Murph

Options
2020-04-18 18:38:05

@JR4 

The same issue here. Bought 3-pack Deco P9 a couple of days ago. Re installed the setup a couple of times and still running into the same issues. Terrible! Followed up all the tips&tricks but nothing is working. I will contact tp-link support and will wat for just another day. If there is now solution then I see no other option to bring back the P9's back to the shop.

Options
2020-04-21 10:08:27

Adding my voice of dismay to the list.

Under lockdown, the whole family are dependent on the internet for working from home.

I received the Deco P9 three-pack yesterday and setup was initially painless and gave reliable coverage and good internet access.

Today, I've now had to uninstall the whole darn thing.

It's not just that they don't connect devices to the network - my Sky router loses its internet access when I have them switched on. The router's Internet LED flashes amber rather than giving me a solid green.

We don't have time to disconnect the internet to go bug hunting on this one. Unless someone can pinpoint a solution, the set will have to go back to Amazon.

Options
2020-04-21 12:53:07

I hope Amazon's return area is big enough for all the P9 sets they are receiving back!!

Options
2020-04-21 19:40:45

@Murph Hi Murph, I've been doing a bit of debugging on my own Deco P9 3pack setup

I have multiple Windows10 laptops loosing connectivity on a regular basis, several times a day (including while staying exactly in the same place of the house throughout the day); while most iPhones and Samsung, Huawei etc. devices are doing ok (including while roaming across P9s scattered into the house)

My Deco P9s have FW 1.0.2 Build 20190917 Rel. 71168, and we are in Router mode.

After some worrying and fiddling; I inserted some IP Address Reservations for most of my laptops and devices, hoping to improve things and I left those Reservations in place so far (even though it didn't improve anything to the recurring connections lost)

Here's what I found now:

- Deco P9 delivers DHCP leases to my Windows 10 laptops with a validity of 2 hours only (!! not sure how normal that is)

- Seems my Windows 10 laptops are Ok with that, and work correctly for a while (maybe 2hrs, not exactly sure)

- Then at some point, Windows 10 laptops fall back on IP Autoconfig (the kind of 169.254.148.xxx address) and start displaying "Not connected to the Internet"

On some occasions, I managed to restart "connecting to the Internet" by simply typing an IPCONFIG /RENEW command, or two.  On some occasions it wasn't enough.

When IPCONFIG /RENEW goes out, I can see DHCP packets with "Discover" flag being broadcasted by my laptop. But only in some occasions does the Deco P9 router sends back a DHCP "Offer" packet with a 2hrs lease to my laptop, and everything starts working again; until the next failure.

From my small window I hence blame the Deco P9 DHCP server for all my troubles....

Is it something similar that you've beeng looking into with TP-Link ?

Options
2020-04-21 20:43:16

@TiLouie 

Hi TiLouie

No I am using the Decos in access point mode so the DHCP server is on another device.  I haven't had problems connecting to the decos the issue is the decos remaining linked and sustaining internet access.  

When we have a problem we are still connected to the wifi and have an ip address.  Devices elsewhere in the house are okay because they're not connected to the deco that dropped out of the mesh.  

It has taken a while to get to this point and I am now waiting for the next steps.

Murph.

Options
Related Articles