Deco P9 - WiFi Issues, Intermittent Connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco P9 - WiFi Issues, Intermittent Connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
77 Reply
Re:Deco P9 - WiFi Issues, Intermittent Connection
2020-04-21 20:55:30
Understood. So your issue is with devices on secondary Deco's I presume, and not when connected to the main Deco In any case, would you recommend trying the Beta FW you received ? Have you noticed any drawbacks on mainstream features ?
Options
2020-04-21 20:59:16
The FW hasn't made a real difference so I can't recommend it as a fix but it hasn't made things worse.
Options
2020-04-27 03:48:10 - last edited 2020-04-27 03:51:50

@Kevin_Z I too am experiencing the issue with intermittent Internet connection drop with the Deco P9 recently.

Last week, I had to reboot all P9 units and re-setup the mesh network when we experienced a power outage rather than just rebooting the units to restore Internet access. Just now, devices lost connection while connected to the main unit again but this time no reboot or redoing the mesh network setup.

I have fiber Internet through Verizon FiOS 200 Mbps up and down. I just enabled Address Reservation and will monitor but I will return the unit if it occurs again later this week.

P9 Unit Firmware: 1.0.2 Build 20190917 Re. 71168.

My setup:

• FiOS Internet modem
    • Wired ethernet connection to Main P9 unit which is plugged directly into the electric outlet for powerline backhaul if needed
      • Wired ethernet to TP-Link Switch
        • Wired eithernet connection to Xbox One
        • Wire ethernet connection to Smart TV
      • Settings
        • P9 in Router mode
        • WiFi devices lost connection recently intermittently
        • QoS enabled, Xbox one given high priority
        • QoS originally set at 500 Mbps total but updated to be 200 Mbps to match the ISP max

• Slave P9 Unit 1 in the basement
      • Connected to network via WiFi and is plugged directly into the electric out for powerline backhaul if needed

• Slave P9 Unit 2 in the studio
      • Connected to network via WiFi and is plugged directly into the electric out for powerline backhaul if needed
Options
2020-05-09 10:37:40

Following on from my previous post,  I have resolved my issue with support's assistance.

I did upgrade to a Beta firmware - which gave me visibility of the signal source and strength of each deco.  When either of the client decos loses its connection this seems to throw the whole set-up.   Following advice from the support teams I tested all the decos were functional and then moved them around a bit; in the end this resolved it.

Initially none of the deco's had a good connection.  I put the main deco on a longer cable and moved it across the room from the router, moved the upstairs deco into a differnet room and voila! I had good connection strengths and the power line connections established.  This set-up has been stable for 10 days now without a problem.

The lesson learnt from this exercise are that the deco are not brilliant and so if you are expecting them to cut through a lot of walls or steels and remain stable you need to move them closer together.

@TP-Link these need better aerials and the standard app needs to provide the signal informaiton I was looking at with associated troubleshooting guidance.   A call out to Fredrik on the support team who was patient and helped me get a working set-up.

Good luck with your set-ups.

Options
2020-05-09 11:38:15

@Murph I'm glad to hear that you solved your problems. In my case all decos are connected thru Ethernet so I don't expect to have it fixed with your workaround

another thing I realized is that WiFi signal is very unstable. I am sitting in the garden, 5m away from my main deco which is just in the door but inside the living room and I am constantly losing signal and getting lag in the connections. Not just with one device but with several.

Options
2020-05-09 12:17:54 - last edited 2020-05-09 12:20:27

Congrats @Murph and others that have found a solution. Unfortunately, since my initial posting I have yet to receive any response from support and just 2 days ago there was a network interruptation that occurred when I unplugged my laptop momentarily from the wired connection to the Switch that was wired to the Main P9 unit. Somehow disconnecting or connecting devices wired to the network causes disruption to the entire mesh system. 

Sadly, I just received my Netgear Orbi RBK20/23 units last night so I'll be running it hard and test connection scenarios repeating tasks previously that was noticeable to cause network connection issues with the P9 Decob units. Amazon has refunded me for the P9 Decos so they will be going back on Monday if the Orbi units prove more reliable in tests.

Options
2020-05-10 19:30:35

@Murph in my case 0 luck with support team, any possibility to test that beta from our side?

Can you please ask support team if they can contact us to try it?

Thanks in advance

Options
2020-05-10 23:30:29

@Murph

well done. 
I bought the p9's thinking that the power line network capability would overcome such connection issues. Clearly not then if you are having to physically relocate the units. 

ive reverted back to a power line network with 2 plugs broadcasting WiFi using the same sid and password as the WiFi on my router and a 3rd master plug connected to the router.  Wifi roaming (WiFi move) is enabled and since installation I have not had a single problem.  Bandwidth is down but still faster than my 70mb broadband so it will do... I favour reliability. 

sorry tp-link but I won't invest in your tech again.  Written that purchase off as a lesson learnt.

neil

Options
2020-05-11 07:01:25

@Neil-S I'm returning the P9 but still have network switches by them and my friend's M9 works just fine. Had the Orbi didn't go on sale I might have gotten the next Deco model up.

I think doing powerline is risky in areas with thunderstorms or power outages that occurs because the need to plug the devices directly into our outlets makes it susceptible to failure. Was worth the try but forgot I live in an area with high winds storms that can disrupt the electrical network.

Best of luck!

Options
2020-05-25 13:08:46
I have the same problem. All my devices connect to the internet except both our smartphones. One is a Samsung A50 and the other is a Asus Zenphone 5. I bought this to extend the range of the wifi on our phones for our smart home devices and this expensive item does not work.
Options
Related Articles