Imminent purchase - Deco M4 or Deco P9 - Main Differences?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-12-26 15:20:12 - last edited 2019-12-26 15:21:23

Having decided my current Mesh System is having issues, I'm looking at Ordering either the Deco M4 or P9 mesh system with 3 units.

I have Ethernet cables in all the locations, so I will be wanting to use Ethernet Backhaul which I understand both models can do.

Albeit from reading, the current firmware does not give you a visual indication this is being used, but new firmware is on the way that will.

Can someone please explain to me the main differences between the M4 and P9 systems?

I understand the P9 has Gigabit via it's ports.

But anything else?

Does the P9 have a better range than the M4, or offer higher wireless speeds?

I'd like to understand the differences between them both.

Many thanks.

Options
5 Reply
Re:Imminent purchase - Deco M4 or Deco P9 - Main Differences?
2019-12-26 16:20:54

@SnaffyNoo 

P9 has powerline backhaul that is the main difference. However the P9s performance is god awful and has serious lack of features. The P9 in its current form is useless.

it would be better for you to purchase the M4 and then buy a pass through powerline kit extra if you need the wired backhaul. 

Options
2019-12-26 16:33:39

@BozMoz 

BozMoz wrote

@SnaffyNoo 

P9 has powerline backhaul that is the main difference. However the P9s performance is god awful and has serious lack of features. The P9 in its current form is useless.

it would be better for you to purchase the M4 and then buy a pass through powerline kit extra if you need the wired backhaul. 

Hi, thanks for the reply. I don't wish to make a rash desicion and regret it once I get the units up and running.

I recently bought a Tenda Mesh syste, but it's causing all my mobile devices (different makes/models) to drain battery faster which I've been informed it probably due to it's poor (cheap) chipset, hence looking at the Deco line which uses a better chipset.

Not sure I fully understand what you mean about pass though powerline.

All I meant was that, I have Ethernet to all the locations I shall be placing the WiFi units, so I will not need to depend on each unit hopping the data from device to device, which I understand is a negative point of mesh.

I will be able to plug in Ethernet to all 3 units, so they will all have full power/speed of my network.

If that makes sence.

The P9 is not THAT much more expensive than the M4 and newer, hence why I thought it should be better. Shame to hear you feel it's poor performance :(

Options
2019-12-26 16:41:57

@SnaffyNoo I have deployed both M4 and P9 and the M4 is far more reliable and has useful information when managing it when compared to the P9 (e.g M4 shows which deco clients are connecting to, how decos are connecting to each other)

passthrough powerline is powerline with a plug socket on it so you can still plug devices into the socket for power.

if you have Ethernet across the house then I think you're better off deploying an AP solution instead of mesh. Like the TP-Link EAPs or go with a different vendor such as ubiquiti.

Options
2019-12-26 17:19:25

BozMoz wrote

@SnaffyNoo I have deployed both M4 and P9 and the M4 is far more reliable and has useful information when managing it when compared to the P9 (e.g M4 shows which deco clients are connecting to, how decos are connecting to each other)

passthrough powerline is powerline with a plug socket on it so you can still plug devices into the socket for power.

if you have Ethernet across the house then I think you're better off deploying an AP solution instead of mesh. Like the TP-Link EAPs or go with a different vendor such as ubiquiti.

@BozMoz 

Thank you for the recommendation.

Some time ago, I was using an old WiFi router with the DNS turned off as basically an access point.

There is a question I've not really managed to get a good simple answer to yet.

The real world difference/s between say a 3 unit mesh system with wired backhaul, or having your main WiFi router and 2 access points, (or routers in AP mode)

I know there will be far more options going the multiple router/access point route, as you wil be able to change channels and all things, where mesh systems for the most part try and keep things simple and easy to use, but perhaps a little limiting for some advanced users (I'm not advanced, I just want things to work well!)

The only real difference I think I've read is that a mesh system will more easily be able to hand off? the WiFi signal as you move around the home.

As opposed to being stuck on a weak signal, whilst you are literally standing right next to a different access point.

In fact this was a reason I was looking at going with the TP-Link Deco P9 as it's supposed to be really good at making sure you get moved? to the nearest/strongest unit.

Do you think the P9 is just suffering a bit as it's the new model and all the issues will be fixed, same as the M4 which has been out a lot longer?

Options
2020-05-14 07:14:09

@SnaffyNoo Whatever you do, DON'T BUY the P9.  Its bloody ridiculous that the company decided to release a "newer" product (P9) which has older and worst firmware than the M4.  And when you include the P9 as the Main Deco, it completely stuffs up the network.  So please DO NOT buy the P9.  I am extremely disappointed that tp-link would do such a horrible job with the routers especially the new ones.

I am actually removing the P9 completely as it is completely de-stabilizing the network and buying more M4s.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 20790

Replies: 5