Deco Mesh Systems - Google Home?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-12-26 15:37:07

I see Alexa Support being touted as something that works with the Deco units.

I used to have Alexa devices, but found out, over time, the Google Smart devices more suited my needs.

Does this mean the Deco unit's dont currently support the Google Home type devices in the same way they Support Amazon Alexa?

If this is the case, Will Google support be added in the future?

A search shows the follwing info:

"An RBC analyst estimates Google has sold 52 million Google Home devices worldwide with 43 million in the U.S."

I do hope Google is, or will be supported.

Welcome replies on this point.

Many thanks :)

Options
14 Reply
Re:Deco Mesh Systems - Google Home?
2020-05-30 20:49:49

@SnaffyNoo  Hi, do you know if they are going to add GH support for the Deco M4?

Options
2020-07-28 08:27:13 - last edited 2020-07-28 08:27:28

The M4 decos recently received and update to firmware 1.4.0.

This firmware claimed to provide Google Assistant integration. I've yet to get it to work. 

The account authorisation fails on Google Home. I'm awaiting a response from TP Link support about this issue.

Options
2020-07-29 20:34:25

@Dreamypuma I am in the same situarion... 

Options
2020-07-29 22:00:38

@SnaffyNoo 

My set of four DECO M4R here in the UK still says 1.1.0 and says it's up to date.

Is this not a UK thing or is the "R" a slightly different version?

Options
2020-07-30 22:56:25

@Ignaciop97 I've been exchanging emails with TP Link support since Sunday. 

No solution yet. Based on the questions they are asking, I'm not even convinced they understand the issue. 

Options
2020-07-30 23:08:00

@SnaffyNoo 

I'm in the UK too. My nodes are M4R's as well. Not sure of the relevance of the "R" suffix.

I received the firmware update on Saturday evening. No notification, it was just there in the Deco app. 

I was fairly keen to install it, as it clearly stated compatibility with Google Assistant. 

The firmware may be released in tranches so keep checking. 

It's the first update I have had, so far I'm not impressed.

Options
2020-08-02 08:10:25 - last edited 2020-08-02 08:14:55

A little update:

Had to do some wiring at home today, so needed to turn the power off for about a hour.

When turned the power back on and finally got thw WiFi back up and running (Virgin broadband box needed a second reboot!)

Check my Deco app and there was the new update.

So I did the update, and said it all went well.

I did try a few of the suggested things to ask your google home, but my google home smart speaker does not seem to know anything about my deco system.

Do you need to do something somewhere to link them up so they know about each other?

Thanks

Commands here:

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2891/

I asked my google home is the guest network on, and I can see google understood my words correcly.

But just says "sorry, I can't help with that" as it has no idea/connection or is aware of the deco wifi system

Options
2020-08-02 08:15:00

@SnaffyNoo you will need to go to the Google Home App and add the Deco Devices to your home. This will take you to an authorisation page, which will ask for your Deco login.

This is where I am stuck. The devices don't authorise. Let me know if you have the same issue. I'm still waiting on a resolution.

Options
2020-08-02 09:14:59

@Dreamypuma 

Thanks for that.

Went into my Google Home app on my phone, did the add device, then for the search thu the long long list to find TP link.

Put in my email and password, and it did the authorise ok after a few seconds of waiting....

Back at the Google home app, it showed my 4 devices, which I then manually added to my home, into a custome named room I called Deco Mesh.

If it makes you feel any better though, it does not work !!!   ;)

Tried one command, google obviously had no idea what I was talking about.

Tried a couple of other ones, and it looked like it was going to work, then is said "something went wrong"

If I'm honest, apart from turning on/off the guest network I can't think of any use for any of this.

Seems just easier to use the app on the phone.

But of course, even if I have no use, it's still nice to know it works :)

Options
2020-08-02 09:24:03 - last edited 2020-08-02 09:25:01

@SnaffyNoo Great news. Glad it worked for you (kind of)

Hoping you can help me get mine connected. 

Are you in the UK, and what version of the firmware are your nodes on?

Finally when I search for TP-LINK on the home app, I get a choice of either TP-Link Router or TP-Link Kasa. 

I am using the TP Link Router account. Is this what you used?

Options