FUTURE BUYERS BEWARE!!

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

FUTURE BUYERS BEWARE!!

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
80 Reply
Re:FUTURE BUYERS BEWARE!!
2020-08-30 12:47:50

As I was decomissioning my Deco P9s this weekend, I noticed that the Android app perfromance improved as I reduced the number of APs in the network.

Options
2020-09-03 15:22:54

@_hpcsyspro_ what did you replace with?

The SMART dhcp and lack of firmware updates is really putting me off. I was thinking of getting the S4 but I don't think there's any open source / third party firmware.

Options
2020-09-03 15:47:47

@atca 

I went back to a Ubiquity Unifi based network as that is what I was using in the US before I moved to the Netherlands.  I had already purchased a UniFi® Security Gateway to be the router as in a few years I will move from the Netherlands back to the US and wanted something that would work in both locations.  As for the access points, I bought a UniFi® nanoHD 3-pack and a 8 port-POE managed switch to power them.  Those 3 APs give me the same coverage as 5 of the P9 units with more speed.  Also It is not an hamstrung on configuration features as the Deco units.

If I wasn't going to be moving eventually then I would have purchased a Unifi Dreamstation instead of the USG.  I do have a friend that hasn't reported any issues with his Amplifi based gear and I need to check with a colleague how his Netgear Orbi network is doing.

TP-Link has forever lost me as a customer and are on my "Friends don't let Friends buy X" list now like Sony Laptops in the past or Sonos anything now days.

Options
2020-09-03 16:05:25

@atca I moved to Synology MR2200AC, a bit of a techie router, but can be used simply as a consumer if needed. Lots of technical detail behind the scenes for those like me that want it. 

Same house :) same gigabit Ethernet cables between devices, new system has been flawless for months ... 

I finally brought myself to move my unused P9's from a cupboard into the trash ... would not wish them on anyone !!!

Options
2020-09-03 16:57:41

@_hpcsyspro_ 

Hi

My experience with TP Link was good for many of their powerline products so the p9 looked like a great product combining powerline with wireless but I gave up on mine about three months ago and replaced with the Ubiquiti Amplifi Gaming edition kit with an extra mesh point so three in total plus router.  I am finding the Amplifi stable with great reach from the main router in fact reaches most parts of the house do the majority of devices attach themselnves directly to the router with just a few outlyers connecting to the mesh points.  The app and admin tools are solid and useful to monitor what is attached where and how they are performing so all in all glad that I switched.  Worlds apart from the P9 experience.

Options
2020-09-03 18:15:09

@GrahamPat 

Positive past powerline product experience is what lead me to the P9 as it had the powerline technology built-in and thus would possibly save me from having to buy any standalone powerline equipment if it was needed.  I had one location that I would have liked to use the powerline feature but it did not work with the P9. However the P9's have turned me off from any future TP-link home deployments.

So far other than the cloudflare related issues, the network has been nice and stable other than my old iPad wanting to roam between the APs to much in certian locations ooccasionally. (A discounnect and reconect fixes it as a work around.) 

Options
2020-09-09 00:24:16

@jdhatch thanks

Options
2020-09-09 08:14:56

@AlanSch Didn't even realise Synology made anything other than NASs, sounds like a beast of a system though. I do miss the VPN options I had on my AC2800 which is missing on the warranty replacement M5s. Might well be the next one I'll look at!

Options
2020-09-10 11:46:56

@AlanSch thanks I hadn't seen that before. What router do you run in front, Synology RT2200? Or do you just use the MR?

Good to see there are other options. Hopefully Synology are better at pushing out firmware too.

Options
2020-10-03 04:39:31

@realjax 

Have any of you noticed that when purchasing Alexa or connected products TP-Link has 2 types now which is Kasa & Tapo. If you purchased Kasa products that they no longer future develope. I.E there's a colour light bulb coming out but not on the old Kasa type. This seesm to be the way these companies are going. I have 12 versions of Kasa products but if I want the colour bulb I will have to update to Tapo versions. Seems a waste of £250 on Kasa products. 

Just wondering if I'm wrong?

Bzzt MrBee
Options