Advice on using multiple TL-WA830RE units

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2013-01-05 00:59:43
Region : UnitedKingdom

Model : TL-WA830RE

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version : ?

ISP : BT

Hi,

I have a pre-facelift (rectangular) model (are any other technical differences between this and the funky new one?).
It is currently used to extend wifi from a BT 3 hub, to one floor directly above the BT hub, and signal is ok.

However I need to extend it to the rest of the house.
The house has thick concrete internal walls, with foil plasterboard insulation, and has a rectangular plan (say 35m x 10m, over 2 floors)

The hub is stuck at one end of the house (where the BT line comes in) - would be ideal in middle of house, however...

So I was thinking perhaps 2 repeaters upstairs and 2 down?
Would that work? Is it overkill? Would signal strength/speed be compromised?
Also, can they be configured with same SSID?
Should they be on different channels?

I have considered wireless Powerline units (circuitry ok, as house is fairly new) but have read that each unit has to have it's own SSID, meaning roaming devices (phones,tablets) will have to switch networks, which will be a pain if it has to be done manually.
This would be a neater solution, for roughly same cost.

Any help or advice appreciated - thanks.
Options
1 Reply
Re:Advice on using multiple TL-WA830RE units
2013-01-08 16:40:12
Several range extenders will extend the wireless coverage, but somehow cut the speed.
So i suggest the wireless powerline unit, because you can change its SSID and wireless security to the same SSID and security of the BT hub.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 400

Replies: 1

Related Articles