AC2300 random link disconnection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

AC2300 random link disconnection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
52 Reply
Re:AC2300 random link disconnection
2020-05-07 10:02:45

@thornton 

U have ofc talked to ur ISP?

I have the Archer C2300. But perhaps that's what you mean by AC2300? In that case, if u have the same v1 you could try the beta firmware I got at your own risk if you don't ask the support dudes first about the firmware so we have the same unit therefore it's compatible.

Options
2020-05-07 11:45:23

@LinkMe 

Why would I call the ISP?

According to the interface the router is called "Archer C2300 v1.0". According to the box it's "AC2300"

I bought it on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/gp/product/B071DP327B/

What I got was also a beta. Here's what they wrote me:

I just got the beta firmware which might helps solve this dropping issue of your Archer C2300.
Please download this and upgrade the firmware through the web UI.
http://support.tp-link.com/f/d83e117208/?dl=1

The file no longer exists on the link but I downloaded it.

C2300_EU_V1-fix-DHCP-issue.zip

c2300v1_eu-up-2.0.3_Build_20200317_Rel.81194_sign_2020-03-18_10.36.11.bin

I then asked if it's safe to use. Reply was:

Yes, this beta probably could solve this issue of your Archer C2300, after installing it, please monitor it for a few days and give us a feedback.
This firmware is like other normal firmwares, just added some features, preventing it from dropping, nothing has changed except for that.
You can safely install it, it is harmless.

Is it the same one you got? Maybe it is a revised version of the "latest" fw. I assumed it's just the old one modified cause everytime I asked they publish a new one I was told it's unlikely to happen.

Options
2020-05-07 11:51:54

@LinkMe 

Following the previous reply, I sent TPL an email asking if there is a newer version of that beta (as the link I got doesn't work now) + if it's a modified version of the latest available firmware from 2018 or of the old one I downgraded to.

Their support is good, so I assume I will know soon.

Options
2020-05-07 14:05:40

@thornton 

thornton wrote

@LinkMe 

Why would I call the ISP?

According to the interface the router is called "Archer C2300 v1.0". According to the box it's "AC2300"

I bought it on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/gp/product/B071DP327B/

What I got was also a beta. Here's what they wrote me:

I just got the beta firmware which might helps solve this dropping issue of your Archer C2300.
Please download this and upgrade the firmware through the web UI.
http://support.tp-link.com/f/d83e117208/?dl=1

The file no longer exists on the link but I downloaded it.

C2300_EU_V1-fix-DHCP-issue.zip

c2300v1_eu-up-2.0.3_Build_20200317_Rel.81194_sign_2020-03-18_10.36.11.bin

I then asked if it's safe to use. Reply was:

Yes, this beta probably could solve this issue of your Archer C2300, after installing it, please monitor it for a few days and give us a feedback.
This firmware is like other normal firmwares, just added some features, preventing it from dropping, nothing has changed except for that.
You can safely install it, it is harmless.

Is it the same one you got? Maybe it is a revised version of the "latest" fw. I assumed it's just the old one modified cause everytime I asked they publish a new one I was told it's unlikely to happen.

Ofc you first call the ISP and see if there's an issue with the service. You are losing internet, correct?

Its the same router and firmware. You said earlier that the firmware they gave you was old from 2017! 🙇🤦

So flash that sucker 😁

Options
2020-05-07 16:14:14 - last edited 2020-05-07 16:21:23

@LinkMe 

Ofc you first call the ISP and see if there's an issue with the service. You are losing internet, correct?

I would do that if I didn't already know it could be the router from my pass experience. Given the connection has not been restored for such a long time, my first try was to

unplug the ethernet from the router and replug it, which what makes the router try to re-sync again. Had that didn't work, a call to the ISP would have been the next step.

The issue I see if that the router at times stop trying to negotiate a renewal.

Its the same router and firmware. You said earlier that the firmware they gave you was old from 2017!

Nope. What I said is:

The first solution I was given was: downgrade down to the earliest version.

That worked for a while, but then after a month I had another such incedent.

I reached support again and they told me to try this beta.

Prior to that I asked a few times regarding a new fw and answer was:

Since we now have a Archer C2300 V2, the Archer C2300 V1 won't have a new released firmware anymore...

The beta is basically an old fw with some modification. Maybe it's based on the last available fw (2018) and maybe it's based on the old (2017) one. That was not made clear.

I kept the file in order to use it in case I notice disconnections get more frequent again. I rather not use a beta unless I have to. I know I can save config and apply it, but just to be sure I don't need to config everything from scratch, I prefered testing the old FW for a while.

I think now I'm ripe to try it :p

You have been running the beta for a bit now, I assume? How is it so far? Where you able to restore config from back up?

Options
2020-05-07 19:32:22 - last edited 2020-05-07 19:39:45

@thornton 

"Well yes, but it's not like a new firmware. it's the old one with some modification from what I understand. Doesn't really solve it for you as you are not interested in old FW."

Its the old one you said. The end.

I've got disconnected 4 time last month and about 2 times this month so it doesn't happen as frequently as yours. About your WiFi. Sounds to me like you have a schedule to turn it off (either you made it or not 😆) a factory reset is probably best in your case.

Also because settings where not lost when I flashed the beta firmware.

Also, you or your naibor might have some Bluetooth device (s) which are turned on at that time or interval that crashes (interfers) with the WiFi. But the 5GHz band would not be affected by this.

Options
2020-05-07 19:44:34 - last edited 2020-05-07 19:46:14

@LinkMe 

I can see the misunderstanding. I said my understanding is it's the old FW with a modification towards this specific issue. Given the newest FW is already 2 years old, it's old no matter how you look at it.

This is based on their reply:

How long do you have that router? Mine was fine for the first few months. Desyncing got worse over time till it was a couple times a week. Which is when I contacted them.

I never talked about WiFi. I do have that turned on, but most my useage is wired PCs. The WiFi I only use with my phone.

Not sure about bluetooth either. I don't use that at all.

I will flash the beta in the next few days. Has it been solid for you so far? I assume it's only been a few days, so it's not a good indication yet.

Options
2020-05-07 19:51:17

@thovra 

You or your naibor might have some Bluetooth device (s) which are turned on at that time or interval that crashes (interfers) with the WiFi. But the 5GHz band would not be affected by this.

Options
2020-05-07 19:56:07

thornton wrote

@LinkMe 

I can see the misunderstanding. I said my understanding is it's the old FW with a modification towards this specific issue. Given the newest FW is already 2 years old, it's old no matter how you look at it.

This is based on their reply:

How long do you have that router? Mine was fine for the first few months. Desyncing got worse over time till it was a couple times a week. Which is when I contacted them.

I never talked about WiFi. I do have that turned on, but most my useage is wired PCs. The WiFi I only use with my phone.

Not sure about bluetooth either. I don't use that at all.

I will flash the beta in the next few days. Has it been solid for you so far? I assume it's only been a few days, so it's not a good indication yet.

@thornton 

My bad. Was another user on this thread I read about while looking for what you wrote.

"This firmware is like other normal firmwares, just added some features, preventing it from dropping, nothing has changed except for that."

Something added is by definition something new 😆 

I haven't had it long. Can check later. Good that you mention it, I will keep that in mind.

Options
2020-05-07 20:02:33

@LinkMe 

Cool.

Will keep an eye out for your updates. I will also post if I get issues, once I installed the beta.

Options
Related Articles