TL-WR702N as client

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

TL-WR702N as client

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
TL-WR702N as client
TL-WR702N as client
2013-01-06 03:26:38
Region : Italy

Model : TL-WR720N

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version : TL-WR702N_V1_120530

ISP :

Hi to all!
My university wireless network allows only one device per user at time to connect to it. So, I bought two TL-WR702N to share the connection with all my devices.
I set one of the TL-WR702N as client, and I could see in this way it works just as a network adapter, that is, it just gets the IP from the wireless network (actually, what's the purpose of this working mode?); then, I connected the other TL-WR702N as router (to connect my devices), expecting the WAN port to get the IP from the wireless network through the client, but it didn't work. I also tried to set a static IP in the router (instead of dynamic), but it didn't work either.
Finally, I tried to set the router as an AP, but no success again.

I eventually bought a TL-MR3020, which can work in WISP mode (it can connect to a wireless network and share connection at the same time).

Can anybody tell me what can be wrong in what I did with TL-WR702N? I can't understand why it didn't work as expected, that is, in special way, why the TL-WR702N used as router can't get the IP through the TL-WR702N used as client.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Options
5 Reply
Re:TL-WR702N as client
2013-01-06 05:28:30
I was able to successfully use the nano 702 as a client and then plugged it into the WAN port of the TP-Link 3500 Dual band router. I did not try TWO nano routers.

First I set up the NANO for client mode, entered the SSID and security password to access the desired wifi system. Be sure your host wifi network is not the same block of IP addresses that the NANO operates on. You may have to change this to avoid conflicts. See below.

Then on the 3500 router, I used mostly all the default settings, whereas the router need to be NAT enabled and DHCP enabled and most importantly, the NAT network needs to be a different class-c block. In other words if the network you are connecting to is a 192.168.0.xx network, you need to reset your personal router to something else like 192.168.50.xxx. And on the Nano, you might want to move it's default IP range to something other than the 192.168.0.xxx network that it defaults to.

For me my plan was to grab the 2.4 ghz wifi and repeat to my own 5 ghz and use some of the hardware ports also for my file server. It worked great.
Options
2013-01-06 06:49:35
Hi! Many thanks for your help. I've just tried at home with my wireless network, and it worked as you said! :D
The router of the wireless network has IP 192.168.0.122; I set the IP of the TL-WR702N client 192.168.2.1 and the IP of the TL-WR702N router 192.168.1.1, and after a while, the WAN port of the TL-WR702N router got the IP.
Maybe, when I had previously tried, I had set the IP of TL-WR702N router 192.168.0.1.

I'll have to try with the network of my university.

Many thanks!
Options
2013-01-10 23:17:09

Mr Wolf wrote

Hi! Many thanks for your help. I've just tried at home with my wireless network, and it worked as you said! :D
The router of the wireless network has IP 192.168.0.122; I set the IP of the TL-WR702N client 192.168.2.1 and the IP of the TL-WR702N router 192.168.1.1, and after a while, the WAN port of the TL-WR702N router got the IP.
Maybe, when I had previously tried, I had set the IP of TL-WR702N router 192.168.0.1.

I'll have to try with the network of my university.

Many thanks!

In another thread, I am trying to do something similar with a WR700N. Because I am using Hotel wifi router, I have no control over that (similar to your university wifi?) . I have to log on to the hotel system using Username/password and check that I agree to terms (router can't do that by itself). In effect my laptop is the client. Once logged in, I wanted to connect to the WR700N via ethernet cable and broadcast the signal to other devices by wifi under a new SSID. My laptop would of course have to stay on.

But, so far, I have had trouble setting up the link between the Wifi adapter, LAN adapter and WR700N. I had it working for a short while under ICS but then lost the connection. I just don't know whether IPs should be fixed or not and what they should be. WR-700N can be set to AP, Router, Bridge, Repeater or Client. Again, I don't know which would be best.
Options
2013-01-10 23:38:02
Mmmm... I think you need to connect another router (to share the connection) to WR700N and set this one as client.
Else, you can use TP-LINK TL-MR3020, which can work in WISP mode, that is, it can connect to a wireless network and share it at the same time (always wireless, with another ESSID (network name)))
Options
2013-01-11 11:26:59

Mr Wolf wrote

Mmmm... I think you need to connect another router (to share the connection) to WR700N and set this one as client.
Else, you can use TP-LINK TL-MR3020, which can work in WISP mode, that is, it can connect to a wireless network and share it at the same time (always wireless, with another ESSID (network name)))

I was able to get it working.
Laptop receives WIFI from my main (eventually hotel) router. Wifi & LAN adapters in Win7 bridged. Ethernet cable from laptop to TP-Link WR700N (set up as Router with mac cloning on, new SSID & WPA2 security). Tp-Link is on different subnet than main router.

Checking from my DD-WRT main router web page, I can add as many devices as I wish to the WR700N's SSID but still only one shows up as being connected to the main router.That was the objective!

This has been running for several hours and seems stable. See what happens when we shut down and restart in morning.
Options