Deco P9 defaults to unstable wi-fi connection instead of powerline

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-01-03 16:06:05 - last edited 2020-01-03 16:09:15
Model: Deco P9  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.0.0

I've purchased 3 Deco P9 units a few days ago and set them up correctly and thoroughly via the app. Everything is working splendidly, however, the deco unit in my office keeps switching between the powerline and wi-fi connection, resulting in slow speeds.

Here's a quick layout of the setup in my appartment:

- Main deco router in storage room (corner of appartment)

- Single unit in living room (about 3 areas in-between)

- Single unit in office (about 4-5 concrete walls and rooms in-between)

- Desktop connected via ethernet to unit in office

- Office powerline/wifi to main router

- Receiver (NVIDIA Shield) connected via ethernet directly to main router in storage room (there's an existing ethernet cable I can use)

My quick test:

- Getting my max 130mbps via wifi next to the main router

- Getting 92mbps via wifi next to the unit in my living room

- Getting a mere 31mbps via wifi right next to unit in my office, but on occasion up to 130mbps

So I assume the unit in my living room is making the connection via powerline, since that is its max in my experience. And the unit in my office is trying to use the weak wifi signal to connect to the main router in the storage room.

Is there any way I can force the unit in my office to always connect via powerline? Or generally everything via powerline? I can't move them further apart and I can't connect them via ethernet (that's why I purchased a mesh wifi system). I *can* connect the one in my living room via ethernet, but since my main goal is to stream from my office to my living room and one of them lacks speed, this won't do much good.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Deco P9 defaults to unstable wi-fi connection instead of powerline
2020-01-04 12:47:03

Just a follow-up here.

I understand why powerline backhaul doesn't disable wifi backhaul (you have to plug it in nonetheless), but there should be an option to force which type you want to use. Say you have a 3-story house and place a Deco unit on each floor. Concrete in-between each floor makes the wifi utterly bad, but they still manage to connect to each other. In this very common scenario, they choose a slow wifi over fast powerline connection which makes the product unusable and not working as advertised.

Ideally, you'd have the ability to, per device, toggle the types of backhaul it should use (ethernet > powerline > wi-fi) and manually order them by priority. Allowing users to prioritize and optimize to their own needs/setup, plus provide an optional fallback.

Of course this feature is currently lacking so I'm thinking of just returning the setup as it doesn't do what I bought it for.

Options
2020-03-29 13:07:14

@impotentrage 

This is worrying as I have just ordered a P9 tripple pack.

If the system ends up using a poor wi-fi link between the units rather than a stronger Powerline connection, then surely it defeats the object of having a hybrid system?

Based on my planned locations for the two remote P9 units, I know they will pick up a very weak signal from the main unit connected to my modem. But the weak wi-fi signal will not have sufficient speed to support the remote location requirements.

I have emailed TP-Link support in the UK for clarification, but any input from viewers of this post would be welcomed.

Options
2020-03-30 14:53:50

@impotentrage 
I would love if TP link provides a solution for this,

All new houses in my country will be heavy concrete floors with iron inside them, then on top of that we'll have water running through the floors for heating.
As result I have a horrible WIFI connection from my study to the main deco downstairs. While the powerline would be perfect as this house is built mid 2019 so wiring should be fine!

I just noticed in the app it uses a 2.4 connection with the poorest possible connection to downstairs, I guess if someone walks through the hallway or w/e my connection might already drop :-). It seems to lose connection like once or twice a day for 10+ seconds. And It is horrible!

Options
2020-03-30 16:30:52

@Mathijs 

Hi Mathijs,

Please could you help me by explaining where in the app can you see what connections are being used between the P9 units?

I have just installed the three units, using the Deco Android App, but I can't seem to find any indication of which routes are being used to transfer data between the units and back to the main unit.

Thanks.

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 2934

Replies: 4