Limited functions when connecting different Deco models

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-01-03 22:12:49
Model: Deco  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

I bought some Deco M4 units, updated them to 1.1.0 at first installation and set it up in router mode. Later wanted to extend it to solve a remaining dead zone where a wall plug type of device would fit better, so I bought a Deco m3w unit, after setting it up I immediatly updated it from 1.0.3 to 1.0.4 (and since then to 1.0.5 just a few days ago).

For my surprise, connecting the m3w unit causing some important features being disabled on the whole mesh system.

I can see that the m4 is on v1.1.0 and the m3w is only on v1.0.5 which can explain this maturity difference but why it was surprising is that TP-link advertises its Deco models as fully compatible (except the connection type/bandwidth difference) using different models in the same network.

The missing features so far are Beam forming and the ability to turn on/off the mesh function per clients. Also the m3w does not show info about the clients connected to that unit.

I understand that m3w is a much cheaper product but TP-Link should not mislead customers and should advertise it correctly, stating clearly which features are not available in current firmware version.

I cannot know now if beam forming keeps working at least on m4 units and only the Deco app does not show it or it is really disabled whenever I connect the m3w.

Please enlighten me at least about this question.

Also, in specs it seems the only difference in configuration between m4 and m3w is the amount of ram but that is just not the whole truth. It clearly has weaker signal than the m4.

I am very dissapointed, I trusted TP-Link, it has been my preferred brand for routers and this misleading act does not bode well now.

Options
5 Reply
Re:Limited functions when connecting different Deco models
2020-01-05 15:16:31

@Arion whereas Deco m4 is a router, m3w is only extender and repeater of the signal. So that's why I think you don't see connected devices to m3w. They should be connected to the router which signal m3w extends. As for the signal power, it's also explainable. M3W is small device with small antennas :)

Options
2020-01-05 16:47:04 - last edited 2020-01-05 16:47:58

@RedRoger 

Thanks for the reply.

But what about Beam Forming and the option for enabling/disabling Mesh for each connected device, that disappears in Deco app when I connect/turn on the m3w in the network?

TP-Link claims in its Deco's website that any Deco modells can be mixed in the same mesh network just fine, the only thing they mention is to follow the hierarchy (choosing the most advanced/strongest modell as the main unit etc.). They do not mention in any page that adding a different modell (probably due to its inferior firmware) can disable functions on the whole system.

Please, make it clear for me, if m4 loses its ability to beam forming after adding m3w or not?

I can imagine that in a newer firmware update to m3w may have this function, too, but unfortunately they just released the v1.0.5 last week, 6 months after the v1.0.4.

They should make it clear what is going on. Right now they are misleading customers and I could request a governmental process in my country against them.

About the OneMesh system created by the same company, they at least put a sign on each router modell whether those already have that feature or will have in the future.

That is why I am really surprised why they did not communicate in the same way about Deco system.

Options
2020-01-05 17:18:19

@Arion Actually I don't know. I also ordered m3w in addition to my m4 routers, so in some days I will have the same configuration as yours, so we can then discuss this issue :)) Meanwhile it's better to wait for official  comment )

Options
2020-01-06 12:28:54

@Arion So, I got at last my m3w and now i can confirm - the situation is the same as yours. In deco app such function as "beam forming" disappeared. And the possibility of roaming switching for devices is also disappeared :)

Options
2020-01-06 17:55:14 - last edited 2020-01-06 17:58:13

I also hope that we get an official reply on this official forum.

The different firmwares causing unsupported and therefore disabled features rises real concern and TP-Link should address it before it goes viral and before customers turn away and look for other brands.

Does TP-Link use us as beta testers? Who would like to buy a product with disabled features that may be enabled only 6 months later?

I just found a related sidenote on both, M4's and E4's firmware update page (but interestingly not on m3w's page):

"If there are other Deco models in your Deco network, you may miss some new features till other models release updates in the near future."

That sentence should be shown next to the convincing PR images on the product's official page and not just on the firmware subpage that none of the customers would check before buy.

There is another annoying issue here and TP-Link has been infamous about it: different versions of the same models on the market without clear signs in the model naming.

The brand has already launched v2 from Deco M4 but you can hardly check it before the purchase.

Unfortunately a few weeks ago I still got v1 and from the firmware update page I can see that since the launch of v2 they have not released any more update for v1. And to get even more confused, they only use "v2" in the name of the file, not the firmware number that keeps increasing where the last v1 number left, so now it is v1.1.8 for v2 instead of something like 2.x.x, in the meanwhile for v1 we have got v1.1.0

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 1502

Replies: 5