Time Machine setup

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Time Machine setup

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
24 Reply
Re:Time Machine setup
2020-05-22 03:53:37

@yavoh000 

I finaly give up. Even if setting the RW permission allowed me to see rhe disk as a time machine disk, it worked for a day and then  the disk was locked. I have reformatted the disk a couple of time, plug it in the Archer, and same behavior. The disk is locked after a few hours ( I gave 6 laptops backup on this time machine). I finally bought a NAS system from Seagate, with time machine support, plug its ethernet port on the Archer, and now I have a working solution since a couple of days. I have no idea why suddenly the disk turns into a read only mode when connected to the Archer. Anyway, not a problem anymore, but the time machine does not seems reliable from TP-Link.

Options
2020-05-22 20:36:56

@dernotte I also finally gave up. Would work for a few days then stop. Would plug the disk in and first aid would state it needed a reformat. 

Options
2020-07-30 12:53:26

I also gave up... wasted a ton of time with customer service and had no luck.

Options
2020-07-30 13:18:16

@S-Cote My New NAS system from Segate works like a charm, hourly backup since May, zero issue.

Options
2020-07-30 22:32:24

@matt_film I try that, no change still not working...  it's so frustrated!

Options
2020-07-30 22:34:33

@dernotte cool...  I'm wondering what is the formating option you choose?

Options
2020-09-01 03:00:59 - last edited 2020-09-01 03:18:23

@S-Cote  Hi, same here i bought an ARCHER AX50 Ax3000 router, and im having this same issues hardware-software really unrealible, very dissapointed.

• 1st  test, connect a USB 2.0 disc , formatted ad HFS+, shared ok, started doing backup, connection interrumps and TM "share" disappears to the computers,. Backup incomplete. The Disc therefore became read only if connected to the MAC directly.
  • 2nd test, connect usb 3.0 disc HFS+, it has some info, and a lot of free space, Shared ok, started doing backup, connection interrumps and TM "share" disappears to the computers,. Backup incomplete. The Disc therefore became read only if connected to the MAC directly. At the point that if the disc is plugged on a mac you cannot execute "First aid".  Same as you.  HAD TO COPY MY INFO MANUALLY AND REFORMAT THE DISC.
  • 3er test. connect same usb 3.0 disc HFS+ partition for backups, and other exfat for the info.
    • -copy 150 GB of info to the EXFAT partition shared via SMB protocol , the transfers INTERUMPS suddenly about 2 hs. The share dissapears.
    • -doing fIrst backup to the HFS+ partition, about 1 hr. (10 gb transfered), the transfers INTERUMPS. From this point Time machine cannot find the disc anymore.
      • this two tests were not made simultaneously
      • the disc its working OK. The disc does not power off, or puts to sleep when the router fails sharing it.

Very dissapointed,  will probably not buy or recommend TP-link :(

Options
2020-09-01 13:09:09

@S-Cote formating option on the Archer or Seagate ?

Options
2020-09-01 13:11:09
I would say that it is a great router but a poor NAS.
Options
2020-09-02 15:16:05

Yes, I also can't setup Time Machine, hope anybody knows the solution, otherwise that is very pity. 

Front-end Developer at Informatics capstone projects web-site
Options
Related Articles