WDS bridge not working

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

WDS bridge not working

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
WDS bridge not working
WDS bridge not working
2013-01-10 01:34:25
Region : Canada

Model : TL-WDR4300

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I recently bought the N750 wireless dual band router and I would like to setup a bridge with another router that I'm currently using.

I have followed the instructions in the documentation http://www.tp-linkru.com/article/?faqid=440. But I've had 0 success in getting this to work.

Has anyone been able to get this feature to work?

Additional info:

I followed each step to the letter. In the last step when my router reboots I noticed that the System light doesn't flash. Which indicates that there is a system error (according to the user manual). But I'm unable to determine what the system error is because I can no longer log into my router's Administration page anymore.

in the instructions (link above) it says to disable DHCP, so I manually assign an IP address to my computer setting the gateway IP address to the IP address I manually assigned to my router. I can see that a connection to the router is established, but I'm unable connect to the internet and when I type in the IP address of my router I'm unable to get into the administration menu.

I checked the wireless connections on my source router and I don't see the IP address of the N750 router.

Please help!!!
Options
10 Reply
Re:WDS bridge not working
2013-01-10 12:00:59
what is the IP address of your root router and the TL-WDR4300 now ?
Do you know that your root router can support WDS or not ?
Options
2013-01-10 23:21:21

Herman wrote

what is the IP address of your root router and the TL-WDR4300 now ?
Do you know that your root router can support WDS or not ?

The IP address of my route router is 192.168.0.1; the DHCP settings start from 100 so I gave my TL-WDR4300 an address of 100 (In my previous attempts I tried 2 and it still didn't work).

I didn't realized that the root router has to support WDS. So I'll check it out and see if it does.
Options
2013-01-10 23:29:12
Also, the instructions mention that in the TL-WDR4300 has to have DHCP turned off in order for WDS bridge to work.

If this setting is turned off, when I connect a device (wired) to the TL-WDR4300 do I have to manually assign an IP address?
Options
2013-01-11 22:46:23
So I checked with my root router and it does support WDS. So I enabled it, added the mac address of the N750 router. Tried the steps again in the TP-LINK guide.

in my first try I set the IP address of the N750 to x.x.x.10 (10 because that is the starting range of the IP address for DHCP for my root router). Restarted the N750. The system light was flashing. However I was unable to get access to the internet when I was wired to the N750; and when I tried to connect via wireless, I was prompted for a password to connect to the N750. I tried the same wireless password that I use for my root router but that didn't work.

1) With WDS working, should I be able to connect to the internet if I'm connected via wired?
2) With WDS working, do I need to set a separate password for the N750 wireless in order to connect to it

Does TP-Link look at these forums and off any help?

Help please!
Options
2013-01-12 18:32:26
1. With WDS working, the computer connected to the N750 via wired should have Internet Access. If it is not working but wireless is working, try to restart the computer.
2. It depends on you. You can set a separate password or same password to N750.If you have set a password for n750, then you need use the password belongs to it. On the TP-LINK set up page, you can find it.
3. If the root router supports WDS, then you just enable the WDS function on it and fix the channel on the main router. Change the LAN ip for N750 to the same IP segment with your main router is correct.
4. DHCP should be disable on the N750 to avoid the DHCP conflicts with your main router.
Options
2014-02-02 10:02:07
I am having the same issue with my WDR4300 Router.
I have follow the article http://www.tp-link.com/ar/article/?faqid=440 but after configuration I am not able to connect to the internet or the main router. A ping will not work for main router or internet, but it does work the de tp link WDR4300 router that i am connected. I can access the administration page of it and see other device in the WDR4300 lan, but no outside comunication.

Have you resolved your issued? Is someone having the this problem with this model?

thanks
Options
I had to reset first
2014-03-08 23:43:24
I had the same experience as pabloc. I resolved it by first updating to the most recent firmware and resetting all settings to factory default. Then I followed the steps listed on the page pabloc found - in order. That was when it worked.

There are some things that are noted at the top that have to be changed. But if you do those and then try to follow the numbered steps, it didn't work for me. I had to start clean and then follow the steps in the order listed. Out of order, and it didn't work.

It's working fine now. I just wish I could get the Tether app to recognize devices connected to the secondary router.
Options
2014-04-20 05:12:01
Dagwud, thanks for your feedback. I am trying to update my adsl model and try those steps. Mine is a TD-W8961ND that I am trying to use with the WDR4300 dual router. What model of ADSL or router where you connecting to the WDR4300 dual band?
Thanks in advance
Options
2014-04-20 17:37:59
WDS is very whimsical and often causes instability. For me better solution is Gargoyle on WDR4300 and Wireless Bridge/Repeater mode.

Options
2015-05-20 12:26:17

Dagwud wrote

I had the same experience as pabloc. I resolved it by first updating to the most recent firmware and resetting all settings to factory default. Then I followed the steps listed on the page pabloc found - in order. That was when it worked.

There are some things that are noted at the top that have to be changed. But if you do those and then try to follow the numbered steps, it didn't work for me. I had to start clean and then follow the steps in the order listed. Out of order, and it didn't work.

It's working fine now. I just wish I could get the Tether app to recognize devices connected to the secondary router.

Whew, I finally got it going after the 100th time when I followed this advice.

I did have one minor issue with my Asus RT-AC66U router in that it had the DHCP range from 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.254. So I set the start address of the Asus at 192.168.1.100 and set my TP-Link to 192.168.1.2

and then everything was fine.

Thanks for the help
-=Mark=-
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 4572

Replies: 10

Related Articles