Deco M4 with OpenDNS

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco M4 with OpenDNS

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Deco M4 with OpenDNS
Deco M4 with OpenDNS
2020-01-27 15:23:38
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I've just recently bought a Deco M4 3-unit setup and currently it is working nicely in my home in AP mode.  I've currently chosen AP mode for simplicity as on my previous network I had a number of local devices with reserved addresses / port forwarding etc that was working well via my existing router (an EE Smart Hub in the UK, FTTC fibre).

But I would like to use some of the broader features of the Deco M4, so am considering moving to using the Deco M4 as the router.  I have a fibre modem available, and the EE Smart Hub cannot be used in modem only / bridge mode, so I will need to take the SmartHub out of my topology.

One of the features I do like though about my current setup is that I can use a service to keep OpenDNS up to date with the dynamic DNS address I am assigned by my ISP (a static ISP IP address is not available).

Is there a service that can run on the Deco M4 unit which I can use to inform OpenDNS of changes in my ISP IP address?  I am aware that some of the parental control features on the Deco may well mean I don't need to use OpenDNS, but I would like to have that option available if at all possible.

Options
5 Reply
Re:Deco M4 with OpenDNS
2020-03-06 09:49:30 - last edited 2020-12-04 15:13:00

M4 Deco set up

TP-Link Deco app

1. Step 1: Create a TP-Link ID.
  2. Step 2: Begin the process.
  3. Step 3: Selecting the model.
  4. Step 4: Follow the setup guide.
  5. Step 5: Connect to the WiFi of Deco M4.
  6. Step 6: Connect to the WiFi of Deco M4.
  7. Step 7: Selecting a location. 
  8. Step 8: Insert the Unifi PPPoE details.

Deco m5

The Deco M5 is a dual-band, 2x2 (two spatial streams up, two spatial streams down), 802.11ac router offering maximum theoretical throughput of 400Mbps on the 2.4GHz frequency band and 867Mbps on the 5GHz band.

The Best WiFi mesh system

• Linksys Velop AC3600 Mesh Router (3 pieces) — $199 (List Price $249; Save $50)
  • Netgear Orbi Pro Tri-Band Wi-Fi System (2 pieces) — $322.99 with extra saving at checkout (List Price $499.99; Save $177)
  • TP-Link Deco Whole Home Mesh Wi-Fi System — $159.99 (List Price $179.63; Save $19.64)

Reset a Deco m4

From the Dashboard in the Deco app, tap the Deco unit that you want to reset, and then tap the button in the top right corner. Click Remove to reset the Deco unit. Alternatively, you can press the Reset button which on the bottom of the Deco unit for 1s to reset it.

WPS button

Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS) is a feature supplied with many routers. It is designed to make the process of connecting to a secure wireless network from a computer or other device easier. IMPORTANT for Android TV™ models.

The best Internet provider

• Verizon Fios — Best internet provider for speed.
  • AT&T Internet — Best customer satisfaction among fiber and DSL providers.
  • Xfinity — Best speed availability.
  • Spectrum — Best package simplicity.
  • CenturyLink — Best value.
  • Frontier — Best package variety.

WiFi backhaul

Wireless backhaul is the use of wireless communications systems to get data from an end-user to a node in a major network such as the Internet or the proprietary network of a large business, academic institution or government agency.

Options
2020-03-06 09:52:32

@devstringx Not sure your post has any relevance at all to my query.  But if you were trying to help, thanks anyway!

Options
2020-03-06 09:56:40

@larkim Ya I'm trying to inform you about Deco M4.

I hope this information is useful for you.

Thank you

Options
2020-03-06 09:59:22
Well, thanks. But as I've got one already set up I didn't need any help with that. My question was specifically about implementing OpenDNS linked to my ISP not issuing static IPs. If you know anything about that, I'd love to hear it!
Options
2020-03-06 10:06:36 - last edited 2020-03-06 10:07:46

If you want to add your network to OpenDNS then you should keep in mind the following points:-

• Click on the “Settings” tab to create or manage your network(s).
  • To create your network(s) in the OpenDNS Dashboard,
  • you will need to enter the external IP address,
  • select the appropriate CIDR prefix size and identify the appropriate organization.
  • Once you've populated the correct information, click “Add this network.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2671

Replies: 5