External Antenna

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

External Antenna

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
External Antenna
External Antenna
2013-01-11 20:28:14
Region : UnitedKingdom

Model : TL-WR842ND

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Region : UnitedKingdom

Model : TL-WR842ND

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi,

I've recently purchased a TP-Link TL-WR842ND router and was hoping to connect with a house we own which is some 600m away by using an external antenna (clear line of sight over some fields).

I think either a Yagi or parabolic antenna would work. However on reviewing the user manual for the router I notice that it states that a antenna with a gain of more than 5dBi is strictly prohibited. Where on the antenna FAQ of the website it states that the router can be used with the directional antenna all of the available ones have gains between 6dBi-30dBi. I've had a look at some other manuals and this statement isn't included.

Would this setup work?
Would it be legal (in the UK)?
Any reason why this statement is only included with this router?

Thanks

Rich
Options
2 Reply
Re:External Antenna
2013-01-12 13:58:08
TL-WR842ND is a kind of SOHO router, I don't think it is a good way to add a external high gain antenna to extend the signal 600m away. If the router states this, maybe TP-LINK has realized that it is illegal in UK to offer high gain antennas, however i am not quite sure. Maybe you can get a extender to the router to extend the wireless signals.
Options
Re:External Antenna
2013-01-26 07:47:46
Hi. i'm exctly in the same situation, you solve now this problem?
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 564

Replies: 2

Related Articles