Range Extender and DHCP reserved IPs

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-02-15 13:07:17 - last edited 2020-02-15 20:06:27
Model: TL-WR841N_EU  
Hardware Version: V14
Firmware Version:

Hi to all,

I have two routers - main (wr940n) and wr841n. The first one, lets call it main I have few reserved IPs in DHCP section. I want the second router to be Range Extender.

I set it as extender, and showed the 940n wifi to extend. Set the DHCP as disabled, also set Static Lan IP.

Then I connect on of the devices I reserved IP for to the extender. But when I check the connected devices on my wifi network, the connected device is with different IP.

If I connect the device to the main router, its IP is correct.

I read lot of tutorials in Internet, and all mention that the extender get the reserved IPs form the main router. Also disabling DHCP is to avoid conflicts with the main router. Is this true or there are other settings I missed?

Also I want to ask why on wr841n (cyan UI) Enable WDS Bridging option is missing? Bridging can be alternative to Range Extender. I own wr740n and it has this option, but wr841n doesn't...

Thanks and best regards!

Options
1 Reply
Re:Range Extender and DHCP reserved IPs
2020-08-05 01:15:10
I don't know why, but I have observed that when a range extender passes the MAC address to the main router, it generally changes the first three pairs of the MAC address (the final three pairs are usually left alone). You probably set the reservation for the "actual" MAC address and got the reserved IP when connecting to the main router. When the RE forwarded the modified MAC address, it didn't match anything in the reservation table so it got a generic IP.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1516

Replies: 1

Related Articles