On going dynamic IP address assignment to Archer C7 in Access Point mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-02-22 18:44:30 - last edited 2020-02-25 01:46:10
Model: Archer C7  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 1.0.8 Build 20190411 rel.65590(5553)

The following was submitted to the SMB support email account.

The automated reply suggested I talk to you guys about this.

Greetings, and hope all of you are healthy.

I have an Archer C7 WiFi Router that I set in Access Point Mode, connected to a network controlled by a TL-600VPN Router.

The VPN router is on 192.168.1.1

Screen print from Archer C7 showing Access Point mode:

When I first set up the Archer C7, I had let the LAN address by assigned “dynamic.”

But I noticed that the VPN router was apparently being requested to hand out a dynamic IP address, every few seconds:

And the Archer C7 was accessible via the dynamic assigned address of 192.168.1.153

Log from TL-600VPN Router:

Using the dynamic address of 192.168.1.153, I set the LAN address as “static”  

Status Screen shot of Archer C7:

But the Archer C7 is still asking for and receiving an IP assignment as per the log on the VPN router:

And even though the address of 192.168.1.153 is being assigned to the mac address of the Archer C7, it is not accessible by address 192.168.1.153.

The Archer C7 can only be accessed via the static assigned address of 192.168.1.205 that I set.

If I log into the Archer C7 and change the mode back to “Router” will it still be accessible via the IP address that I had assigned to it when it was in Access Point mode, i.e. 192.168.1.205?

Would changing the Archer C7 back into a router, but disabling the DHCP, do the same thing as putting it in Access Mode?

Would this stop the ongoing dynamic address assignments?

If I put the Archer C7 back to “Router” mode, what should I put for the WAN address?

Will it be accessible by the static LAN address that I had assigned when it was in Access Point mode?  

The Archer C7 has the latest firmware:

Thanks.

M

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 781

Replies: 0