C6 and A9 loosing WAN connection just after OpenVPN enablement

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-02-26 21:09:51 - last edited 2020-02-26 21:12:48
Model: Archer A9  
Hardware Version: V6
Firmware Version: 1.0.4 Build 20190522 rel.66382(4555)

Hello.

Let me give some background. 

I have an ISP how provieds me with cable modem/router (with limited configurability).

The aim for having TP-Link device was to enable me to configure custom DNS servers and few other things.

I have a few bridged VMs and a few containers running inside LAN.

Case #1: Archer C6

Device connected, configured, so far so good.

Since I had OpenVPN VM running on my homelab, I've decided that I will get rid of it and use build-in OpenVPN server funcionality.

A few hours after setting everything up, my C6 lost WAN access. Mamagement UI showed exclamation mark and there was no internet access.

It is worht to mention, that I had to forward port 1194 from my ISP device acting as modem to C6.

There was no simple way to make it work again, either factory reset or operation mode change were the only solution to make C6 to work again.

Or, which is very suprising, removing port forwarding from ISP model was curing C6 immediatelly.

I've followed with security-by-obscurity and changed public OpenVPN port to some random port. 

It helped, but only for partially.

Every 2-3 days I was experiencing same bahaviour, no internet access.

I've decided, that C6 has some buggy firmware and I will go with higher model.

Case #2: Archer A9

I've bought A9. 

Went thru all the settings without OpenVPN due to limited time.

A9 survied about 12 hours and in the morning I've configured native OpenVPN server.

WAN connection was lost in like 30 minutes. 

Again, removing port forward from edge modem healed A9 immediatelly.

Aparently, there is some nasty bug in all (at least C6 and A9) devices cousing OpenVPN a no-go funtionality.

Thank you.

Edit #1:

I was using tplinkdns in both cases if thats matters. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 500

Replies: 0

Related Articles