Deco M9 Plus random connection drops

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-02-29 21:03:25
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.2.11

Hello,

I have recently bought the Deco M9 Plus trippel pack. My setup is rather simple:

got the main deco connected to the ISP modem downstairs in the living room and to slave decos. One in the kitchen which is in the next room and one in the study one floor up. At first when it was just installed Inchecked connectivity and everything seemed great. I got WiFi in the whole house. The next day however things started to behave badly. 
There could be a good WiFi connection but no internet connection or at the very least a very slow internet connection (having to wait 5 minutes for a page to load is really frustrating). The strange thing is that we could have two separate devices right next to one another and one would have internet the other doesn't.

Sometimes it helps to simply reconnect the device but sometimes even that doesn't help.

In the end I often end up rebooting all decos and then everything works fine again for a few hours. But it's starting to become very frustrating to have to reboot all decos twice a day. That's not the way it should work.

I read somewhere that it could be due to op classes and that I should have the Deco handle DHCP and turn that off in the ISP modem. Unfortunatly I cant turn of DHCP in the ISP modem, but also I don't think this is an issue since the ISP modem assigns IPs in the 192.168.0.x range and the deco uses the 192.168.68.x range. 

I have also to no avail tried setting fixed up addresses on my devices.

Not sure what to try anymore?

Any thoughts???

Options
3 Reply
Re:Deco M9 Plus random connection drops
2020-02-29 21:14:12

@QSO 

It is not good practice to have 2 DHCP servers on your network because some devices might get an IP address from one the ISP router and others an IP in the Deco IP range.

The way I would connect in your situation is:

Ethernet Port 1 from main Deco to your ISP router.Nothing else should be hard wired or connected wirelessly to the the ISP router. Disable wifi on the isp router if you can.

Ethernet Port 2 from main Deco into a switch (if you have one)

All other Decos wired to the switch (if using ethernet backhaul)

All wired devices into the switch and not the router to ensure they get a Deco issued IP adress and not router

If wireless backhaul then other Decos wont need to connect to the switch.

That might be similar to what you have already have?

-- Deco X50-POE user
Options
2020-02-29 21:40:09

@Oakmeister 

I replied inline...

Oakmeister wrote

@QSO 

It is not good practice to have 2 DHCP servers on your network because some devices might get an IP address from one the ISP router and others an IP in the Deco IP range.

Agreed, but there's nothing I can do about that right now, also the range of IP addresses assigned is different, so I don't think that should matter.

The way I would connect in your situation is:

Ethernet Port 1 from main Deco to your ISP router.Nothing else should be hard wired or connected wirelessly to the the ISP router.

More or less did that, there are a couple of devices nearby connected via Ethernet to the ISP router. I don't see why it would help to wire them up to the Deco though.

Disable wifi on the isp router if you can.

In did that!! I figured it would be good to reduce some noise.

Ethernet Port 2 from main Deco into a switch (if you have one)

All other Decos wired to the switch (if using ethernet backhaul)

All wired devices into the switch and not the router to ensure they get a Deco issued IP adress and not router

If wireless backhaul then other Decos wont need to connect to the switch.

As I would like to avoid putting wires all over the place I opted for the wireless backhaul.

That might be similar to what you have already have?

So yes :-)

Options
2020-03-01 10:45:38
" I don't see why it would help to wire them up to the Deco though" Because your ISP router will issuing IP addresses in a different range from your Deco. This will mean that a device obtaining an IP address from your ISP router will not be able to communicate with devices on your Deco network. In addition to this, your ISP router will be issuing itself as default gateway (usually 192.168.1.1.) and your Deco will be telling its own clients differently. Is going to be a mess and not surprising you are experiencing the problems that you are.
-- Deco X50-POE user
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2038

Replies: 3

Related Articles