What should I do if Internet speed becomes slow via Range Extender?

2020-03-05 11:08:13 - last edited 2023-02-08 08:53:09

With the range extender, you may find that Wi-Fi signal is stronger but download speed becomes slower. Why is that? There are many reasons for this, please follow the steps below to find a solution.

Note:

1). It’s recommended to set different SSID/Wi-Fi name on Range Extender from your host network, then it's easy to know which Wi-Fi the client device is connected to.

2). If only one device (laptop or phone) has the low-speed issue, please contact the device support.

3). Please do the speed contrast in the same Wi-Fi band (2.GHz or 5GHz) for the Range Extender and router. Normally, 5GHz Wi-Fi has higher speed than 2.4GHz Wi-Fi.

Step1: To avoid interference, place Range Extender away from some devices, such as cordless phone, Bluetooth device, microwave, or other large electrical appliances.

Step2: To avoid poor signal, get Range Extender close to your router, and also move client devices close to Range extender. Normally, it’s recommended to plug your extender about halfway between your router and the Wi-Fi dead zone.

Step3: Please check the link speed on your device by referring to How to check the associated/link speed on a wireless client.

Step4: Please do some speed tests as the following ways.

1). Connect only one end-device to the range extender. Do the Speedtest® (www.speedtest.net) without doing any high bandwidth activities. Take a screenshot of the speed test result.

2). Connect the same end-device to your router at the same location. Test the speed (www.speedtest.net) without doing any high bandwidth activities. Take a screenshot of the speed test result as well.

Step5: Please start a new thread for further help with the above screenshots if the speed is still not as good as expected.

Options
23 Reply
Re:What should I do if Internet speed becomes slow via Range Extender?
2020-04-01 07:46:44

@Jin221 

Model: RE200

Hardware Version:

Firmware Version:

Very dissapointed after getting this product for the first day and first time. 

Expecting it can help to improve the speed and stabilize the connection, however ended up disconnecting and slow down my speed.
Saw TP Link Admin shared a thread of guide, followed everything still slow and disconnecting in games. Very unable. --> without extender. im stable and ping are not jumping
Below are the screenshot as requested for both extender and router speed.
Im praying hard not to waste any money and ended up with bunch of  guides and tips provided by ADMIN that cant solve anything. 
Kindly provide a help that can satisfy your consumer and make your product valued.

With RE200 Extender:

With Router only:

Options
2020-06-02 07:11:34

Hi,

yes, it is a very useful and important discussion.

thanks,

rahulsaha.

Options
2020-06-07 17:16:40

@Jin221 I have the same problem exactly 

Options
2020-06-12 19:31:23

@Jin221 

Hi Jin ,

Did u get any solutions yet? I am having the same issue . My router speed is well over 50mbps at speed test but my extender speed does not cross even 15mbps from the same distance .

Options
2020-06-29 13:30:27

@Kevin_Z Thank for sharing this info, you really helped me!

Options
2020-10-10 20:16:48

If possible, move the router to a more central location in your home. If it is near an outside wall, you'll be broadcasting a good chunk of your signal outside your house. If your home is really big enough to need a second access point, you'll be better off using a second wireless router in access point mode rather than going with a range extender, or just change to sattelite broadband. If you can get a network cable from your router to your access point or range extender, you can avoid the automatic loss of 1/2 of your bandwidth that goes along with the wifi to wifi extension.

Options
2020-12-02 07:59:54

@Kevin_Z 

After using Range Extender <TL-WA850RE> with Router DIR-600M, The internet connectivity is poor.

Whereas if Laptop has physical connection with Router the connectivity speed is more than twice.

Any Idea why this is happening?

No solution for last 3 months.

Kevin_Z wrote

With the range extender, you may find that Wi-Fi signal is stronger but download speed becomes slower. Why is that? There are many reasons for this, please follow the steps below to find a solution.

Note:

1). It’s recommended to set different SSID/Wi-Fi name on Range Extender from your host network, then it's easy to know which Wi-Fi the client device is connected to.

2). If only one device (laptop or phone) has the low-speed issue, please contact the device support.

3). Please do the speed contrast in the same Wi-Fi band (2.GHz or 5GHz) for the Range Extender and router. Normally, 5GHz Wi-Fi has higher speed than 2.4GHz Wi-Fi.

Step1: To avoid interference, place Range Extender away from some devices, such as cordless phone, Bluetooth device, microwave, or other large electrical appliances.

Step2: To avoid poor signal, get Range Extender close to your router, and also move client devices close to Range extender. Normally, it’s recommended to plug your extender about halfway between your router and the Wi-Fi dead zone.

Step3: Please check the link speed on your device by referring to How to check the associated/link speed on a wireless client.

Step4: Please do some speed tests as the following ways.

1). Connect only one end-device to the range extender. Do the Speedtest® (www.speedtest.net) without doing any high bandwidth activities. Take a screenshot of the speed test result.

2). Connect the same end-device to your router at the same location. Test the speed (www.speedtest.net) without doing any high bandwidth activities. Take a screenshot of the speed test result as well.

Step5: Please start a new thread for further help with the above screenshots if the speed is still not as good as expected.

Options
2020-12-02 20:41:47

@Kevin_Z  I has purchased the TP Link RE 650 Wifi Extender with the hope that it will not only maintain the wifi range but also the speed.

The setup is quick either through App or Browser. 

The main issue I observe is:

- I connected but 2.4 G and 5G to the extender. Immediately fater you configure , it works fine for 1 to 2 hours then you start experiencing slow speed.

- I have connected my extender to the correct place and the light is complete BLUE.

- Once i reconfigure either through APP or browser the speed gets corrected.

- I have tested the internet speed with and without extender ( direct router ) , the speed of router is more than through extender. 

I am extremely upset. It is one of the costly device which i purchased. 

Kindly help to improve the internet speed. 

Options
2020-12-14 11:07:23

@Kevin_Z 

Tips are good but not useful.

I tried all but The internet speed using 2.4Ghz wifi network is much lesser than direct physical connection to router.

Options
2021-01-13 14:42:57

@Kevin_Z 

Is there any update on this issue?

I also have purchased an extender and have had the same issue: When I connect to the router from the wifi-dead zone, the speed is higher than when I connect to the repeater. The repeater's speed is reaaallyy slow

I tried to put the repeater one meter next to the router to check how much speed loss I get under perfect conditions. I get 80% speed loss with the repeater. This is not normal. The repeater would be useless... 

So any input on that matter?

Options