Internal DNS resolution

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Internal DNS resolution

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
20 Reply
Re:Internal DNS resolution
2020-09-30 15:38:49

@dantana The best way, if we use Deco M9 as router, we need router features. Otherwise it is not useable.

In my case, Deco M9 are in bridge mode and a PfSense is the router. I didn't plan that, but nom it is like that...

Options
2020-11-06 05:47:47

man, here I was thinking my whole network somehow became misconfigured.

tplink please add local hostname resolution!

so frustrating.

Options
2020-12-14 19:45:35

So much for a router...

Options
2021-01-06 16:47:47

I just ran into this same issue on my x60, devices that advertise themselves with mDNS can be used by hostname, but that isn't the router resolving the hostname so you can't use something like nslookup and anything that doesn't know about mDNS (like an older device) won't resolve by hostname.

It's not a huge issue since most of the devices I would connect to / from do support mDNS, but a lot of smart devices don't even advertise themselves with anything besides registering with the local DNS, so I have a lot of unnecessaryIP reservations set up and have to remember which device has which IP.

This is a fairly major feature to be missing from a router as expensive as this though, every previous router I've owned has resolved local DNS hostnames and had a web interface for configuration instead of requiring an app.

Options
2021-02-24 15:06:44
As I see it's related for many tp-link routers. Mine Archer C7 have same problem.
Options
2021-02-24 16:40:31

I am assuming this is only the problem when Deco mesh runs in Router mode. For Deco in Access Point mode it would not be an issue.

Options
2021-04-04 06:25:26
That's because it's not serve as a router
Options
2021-05-01 12:38:22 - last edited 2021-05-01 12:41:51

You can put me down for wanting this too.  Some old devices on my network incorrectly expect that gateway can resolve dns requests.  What makes the lack of this feature even worse is that you can't turn DHCP off on Decos.  So, I can't add my own DHCP server (like a pi-hole) to resolve local dns requests.  One hack I've been using is append ".local" to hostnames.  I believe that uses Netbios to resolve the name instead of DNS.  I think this is the first router I've ever seen that doesn't support local dns caching.

Options
2021-05-21 07:46:54
TP-Link, please add local DNS name resolution functionality to the Deco X60 routers.
Options
Re:Internal DNS resolution-Solution
2021-10-30 20:57:22 - last edited 2021-11-02 10:13:39

Short update to this thread, seeing as I raised the issue originally. The quick response is this is now working, and my problem has been solved. I don't understand how.

The longer answer is that I recently "upgraded" my mesh network to another manufacturer as my family were complaining of a dead spot on the top floor of the house and I didn't want to buy another Deco unit because of this issue, so though it time to upgrade.

The new system was terrible. I won't name and shame them, but I was seeing huge packet loss on the network and devices would loose connectivity for minutes at a time.

After a week of living with this (and i bought extra units incase it was a coverage issue (it wasn't, or at least the extra units made no difference) pressure from my family made me re-instate the Deco M9's, which had been factory reset ready for selling on eBay.

This evening out of interest, i tried to see if i could resolve local DNS names. They don't work unqualified, as they did with the BT Hub direct, but they work perfectly on the .local subdmain, i.e raspberrypi.local or nas.local both at the linux command line and in a browser.

I beginning to wonder if this was ever a problem - i can't recall exactly hiw much troubleshooting I did when i first got the units, but TP link support and other owners also posted saying internal DNS resolution was not supported.

As of today (30 October 2021) i can confirm local (internal) DNS resolution does work if you suffix the .local domain to the name (or add it to your resolve.conf)

I shall be buying an additional M9 unit in the next few days

Recommended Solution
Options
Related Articles