OpenVPN or PPTP can't access NAS servers

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-03-23 22:02:09
Model: Archer VR600  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 0.1.0 0.9.1 v5006.0 Build 190228 Rel.72265n

Hi All

Sorry if this is a repeat, the admin seems to have removed my previous message with no contact to say why?

Last week our office upgraded our internet connection, and our ISP (iinet in Australia) supplied a Archer VR1600v. I am struggling with getting a VPN going so staff can work from home.

I've tried with either OpenVPN and also PPTP, I can connect ok from a remote site. I get internet access, and using whatsmyip I can see that as I connect/disconnect VPN that I switch networks ok. I can remotely access LAN IP - for example from a web browser I can type in the IP address of my Voip phones etc. I can get to the internal LAN web page for our NAS server.

My problem is that I cannot access any of the NAS drives using Explorer on Windows machines, or Finder on a Mac. I can't find any info on this on the TP Link site. Looking more generically across other brands there's some mention of setting up a static route. But the settings in those examples don't quite match up with TP Link settings. Even trying this I still can't connect to my NAS drives. I'm sure I'm not the first person to be trying this, isn't this the whole reason for VPN?

Any ideas I can try? Thanks in advance.

Cheers - Matt

Options
4 Reply
Re:OpenVPN or PPTP can't access NAS servers
2020-03-25 21:48:46

Guess nobody from TP Link are working from home during these trying times. Maybe it's because they can't get their VPN going? :)

Options
2020-03-26 02:48:10

@Mutski Not surprising, it's been a very long time since they've updated their OpenVPN Server on ANY of their product lines. Even new ones have an OLD / LEGACY OpenVPN Server software version. Example from my Archer A7 (with latest firmware released this week):

Options
2020-03-26 02:54:10

@JoelS Sucks hey. We recently upgraded our internet connection from ADSL2+ to HFC. The new router they sent us - TP Link VR1600v - seems fine for residential use, but really sucks for business use. I tried 2 other routers, but cannot get them to connect to the PPPoE setting which seems to be locked into the VR1600v by our ISP (grumble grumble).

Options
[SOLVED] Re:OpenVPN or PPTP can't access NAS servers
2020-03-31 04:29:04

@Mutski Gave up. Bought a Ubiquiti. Problem solved immediately. Should have done it ages ago.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 1148

Replies: 4