Wireless speed cap

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Wireless speed cap

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Wireless speed cap
Wireless speed cap
2020-03-28 14:29:49 - last edited 2020-03-28 14:32:02
Model: Archer C1200  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.0.2 Build 20180118 rel.38979 (EU)

Hi Support,

Using an Archer C1200 dual band v2.0, latest firmware - NAT boost enabled, QoS obviously disabled.

I've got a 1gbps internet from ISP, full blast if using wired network from the router - whereas 5ghz and 2.4ghz wireless only providing 350-400mbps and ~100mbps respectively at best.

Tried with 4 different devices including 2 Windows 10 laptops, both show wireless speed @ 867mbps.

I do understand that ceiling speed and real speed are typically not even remotely close to each other due to various factors, but

1) interference, distance and obstacles certainly aren't the bottleneck here:

- this is the only router in ~50 metres radius but anyway I tried with all different channels and frequencies, same speed

- my main laptop is 1,5meter from the router, no walls or any objects, but also tried by actually putting the testing devices right next to the router and going to another room, same speed

2) this router is not the typical advertisement trap of offering X speed on 3-4 bands, i.e. limiting speed per band or device, as the 5ghz band should flat out deliver 867mbps without limitations.

It's as if there was a fixed 400mbps cap built into the wireless...

More of a theoretical question than looking for actual solution since 350-400mpbs is far enough for everything.

Are there specific advanced Wireless settings that I can use to improve the speed or shall I just let it go?

Thanks!

Ben

Options
3 Reply
Re:Wireless speed cap
2020-03-28 14:38:03

@brozsa For an AC1200 router don't expect more than 450-500 Mbps in 5GHz WiFi ac. That's pretty much the usual limit.

Wireless speed also depends on the receiver, if it supports MIMO and beamforming for instance and how many MIMO antennas are available. Of course, the environment conditions impact a lot too, it's not the same a isolated country house than a crowded building in a city center full of networks.

Currently the only practical way of getting a full wireless 1Gbps is getting WiFi 6 devices (both access point and end device)

Options
2020-03-29 22:06:26 - last edited 2020-03-29 22:07:19

thanks - can you pls further specify why I shouldn't expect more?

as mentioned environment factors shouldn't impact the speed and my laptop's network adapter is certainly capable of handling more...

just curious really, why does the manufacturer advertise the 5ghz speed to cap at 867mbps if in reality it will not be over 400 even in case of the most ideal conditions. and to make it worse, they hardly mention it anywhere on their website or product manual - it's completely misleading towards the customer.

Options
2020-03-30 06:37:13

@brozsa The advertised speed is the "raw" wireless link speed, and that link is shared between client and router.

Both devices can't "talk" at the same time because 802.11 is half duplex. The way WiFi works is send a small chunk of data - wait for a response (acknowledgement, repeat, etc.) - receive response - send more data and so on. So, if the shared link is 867Mbps, when it's time to send data it sends it at 867Mbps, but part of the time it is waiting or receiving, so the overall average transmission speed is quite lower.

Also, WiFi protocols (plus the rest of the stack like IP and TCP) add quite a lot of overhead to the data to ensure data integrity.

All that without counting the environment that would make the link less reliable and hence slower.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 739

Replies: 3

Related Articles