AC1300 Archer T4U V3 - Driver Instability, Frequent Disconnects

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-03-29 19:32:17 - last edited 2020-09-28 19:57:15
Model: Archer T4U  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1030.22.202.2018

Hello,

I'm having some trouble with the drivers provided for the AC1300 Archer T4U V3 (EU). Some info on my setup:

At first I had issues with Windows replacing the TP-Link drivers with generic drivers that were version 1030.27.425.2018. These drivers were unstable, causing latency spikes and general bandwidth problems (videos would buffer, voice chat would be laggy and cut off, etc.). They also continuously replaced the TP-Link drivers every restart. I managed to fix that issue by going to Control Panel --> System & Security --> System --> Advanced Setting --> Hardware --> Settings for device-installation and turning it off. Then I uninstalled the device, uninstalled the TP-Link drivers, unplugged the adapter, restarted my PC, and made sure that when I plugged the adapter back in it didn't work. Then I installed the TP-Link drivers again.

TP-Link's drivers work better; however, they are arguably worse: General stability is better (videos buffer less, I don't sound all laggy in voice chat anymore, etc.) but when downloading things, even at low speeds of ~1MB/s, the adapter will randomly disconnect from the network and show no available networks until I manually turn wifi off and back on in the taskbar. While the device is 'stuck' unresponsively Windows reports the device as working fine, no events related to driver faults or anything are logged by the device itself (in device manager), and no events related to driver faults or anything of the sort are logged by Windows. Sometimes it'll disconnect every couple of minutes but sometimes it'll last for over an hour before disconnecting.

Device Manager does show that it seems to continuously spam install requests and such but it doesn't really coincide with the disconnects, it just does it every coupe of minutes. Here's a picture: https://i.imgur.com/eauzZz3.png

Aside from that issue there's issues with the adapter sometimes just showing as connecting and disconnecting over and over and over again. This can sometimes happens when updating the driver to TP-Link's or when the disconnect happens using TP-Link's drivers. It will presist for a bit and then stop though sometimes it doesn't stop and requires that manual turning the wifi off and on again.

2.4Ghz signals work but are extremely slow.

Things I've tried aside from the troubleshooting required to get the "proper" (TP-Link) driver to work:

• Going to Windows --> System32 --> DriverStore --> FileRepository --> netrtwlanu.inf folders and removing them. Did not help.
  • Going to Windows --> System32 --> Drivers --> rtwlanu.sys and deleting it (then replacing it be reinstalling TP-Link's driver). Did not help.
  • Clean-installing 1030.27.425.2018 drivers AND 1030.22.202.2018 drivers. Both still exhibit the aforementioned issues.
  • Plugging the adapter in different USB ports (2.0, 3.0, front, directly on the motherboard in the back). Same issues.
  • Going to Device Manager > Network Adapters > TP-Link Wireless MU-MIMO USB Adapter > Properties > Power management and unchecking "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power."

Does anyone have an idea about how to fix this?

I'm pretty sure I've tried every solution recommended in any of the posts here and in other forums about this device and other TP-Link devices with terrible stability and drivers.

Is TP-Link planning to release a driver update or is the device considered end-of-life (latest Windows driver is from November 2018)?

I bought it less than a year ago so I could still get it returned so I'd like to know if it's going to be fixed or whether to just send it back and but some other brand's.

Options
3 Reply
Re:AC1300 Archer T4U V3 - Driver Instability, Frequent Disconnects
2020-03-30 05:48:41

@Lynkz 

Hello, does the adapter work fine before? When do you have the issue?

What about other wireless devices? Do they have the same issue?

Please try to customize the wireless settings of the main router, like the wireless channel and channel width. For 2.4GHz, use channel 1, 6 or 11, channel width as 40MHz; for 5GHz, use channel 36, 40 or 44, channel width as 40MHz.

Besides, try to change another computer to do a comparison test. 

Have a good day.

Options
2020-04-03 07:38:17 - last edited 2020-04-03 07:41:32

@Stella.Q 

Hello,

I think the adapter always had the same issue. I bought and started using it when I moved to a new house and I figured the instability was due to the amount of people using the same 10Mbps connection. I only realized that it was the adapter that was causing issues when I could no longer use my desktop for a while so I used my laptop, which has integrated wifi, and it experienced none of those problems when it was in the same position or even further from the router. My phone has also never had connection issues/drops with this wifi and in fact I use it to check whether when my desktop disconnects its a router issue or whether it's the drivers messing up and sure enough, it's always only the desktop that disconnects.

I have tried putting the adapter on the laptop and using that instead and the same thing happens; Windows replaces the drivers with its own generic ones which causes stability issues on 5Ghz and the TP-Link drivers have disconnects on 5Ghz. 2.4Ghz works fine just like in my desktop. The laptop's own integrated wifi doesn't have these issues.

I've also tried setting those static channels with channel width 40Mhz and there's been no change.

Options
2020-09-22 20:21:23 - last edited 2020-09-28 19:57:15

Any news on the driver situation? It's been 6 months.

I have since moved to a new house with a different ISP, different router, and an entirely new Windows version yet the issue persists. I noticed that the amount of threads regarding driver issues with this device has increased since then as well.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 4747

Replies: 3

Related Articles