Help setting up access point using Specific IP range/DNS servers/Gateway

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-04-03 14:25:08 - last edited 2020-04-07 10:06:57
Model: TL-WA801ND  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi everyone. 

So I've just moved into a dorm where we are given access to ethernet but not to wifi. If we want wifi we are required to get our own router. Hence why I purchased the Tp-link.

unfortunately, Its not very intuitive as I can't just simple plug it and run a smart setup.

For my internet I am given very specific ranges. Mainly:

IP Addresses: 10.150.60.120  through 10.150.60.127.     These are supposed to be per device on the LAN. 

Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway/Router : 10.150.60.254

Primary DNS : 10.150.127.2

Secondary DNS: 10.150.125.2

Currently, Ive been trying to set it as a static IP with one of the given IP addresses and the subnet mask given.

Then I go to DHCP and fill in the info for the Default Gateway, Primary and Secondary DNS. 

While still in DHCP: I change the pool such that it ranges between the given addresses minus the one used for LAN to account for the allocated IP addressed.

However this typically leads to a result of nothing happening or me being unable to connect to the access point at all.

Has anyone dealt with this issue before or can anyone lend me some pointers?

I'd really like to get the wifi here up and running.

One more tidbit of information. When i run the ethernet direction to my laptop and do these same settings in TCP/IPv4 in the ethernet properties. It runs perfectly fine and I can connect.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Help setting up access point using Specific IP range/DNS servers/Gateway-Solution
2020-04-03 15:17:17 - last edited 2020-04-07 10:06:57

@Kryptix Connect the wire to a LAN port (not the WAN) and enable Access Point mode.

Set an IP in your range for the router (I understand you already did that)

Now... if it's a shared LAN, then it's better if you don't use your own DHCP Server, otherwise you could serve IP addresses of your range to other users in other rooms.

So, set DHCP Server to Off and manually configure the wireless network (IP, mask, gateway, DNS) in each wireless device. Just like you do in the PC but with a different IP.

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:Help setting up access point using Specific IP range/DNS servers/Gateway-Solution
2020-04-03 15:17:17 - last edited 2020-04-07 10:06:57

@Kryptix Connect the wire to a LAN port (not the WAN) and enable Access Point mode.

Set an IP in your range for the router (I understand you already did that)

Now... if it's a shared LAN, then it's better if you don't use your own DHCP Server, otherwise you could serve IP addresses of your range to other users in other rooms.

So, set DHCP Server to Off and manually configure the wireless network (IP, mask, gateway, DNS) in each wireless device. Just like you do in the PC but with a different IP.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Help setting up access point using Specific IP range/DNS servers/Gateway
2020-04-03 15:26:24 - last edited 2020-04-07 10:06:57

@mocelet hi mocelet,

Thanks for the help. Just 1 follow up question. Should I still be setting up the access point with static IP or should I just use smart ip? since I will be configuring it after the fact as you recommend

Options
2020-04-03 15:28:53 - last edited 2020-04-07 10:06:57

@Kryptix My understanding is that your network doesn't have DHCP, right? I mean, you have to setup your PC manually, don't you?

If that's the case, IP should be manually set. Smart IP tries to get it from the network, but guess it won't get any.

Options
2020-04-03 15:40:09 - last edited 2020-04-07 10:06:57

@mocelet 

Ah I see. Okay cool. I'll be sure to let you know if this works when I get back home. Very much appreciate your help so far though!

Options
2020-04-03 16:07:02 - last edited 2020-04-07 10:06:57

@Kryptix There's another option should you need to connect more than six devices and isolate your devices from others'.

That would be using the router as router instead of just access point. You would be doing what is called "double NAT", might be problematic for some applications but it's worth a try if you eventually need it. I'd definitely try, using backup and restore in the web UI you can play around and go back to a working config whenever you want.

In that case make a factory reset, wire would go to the WAN port this time, router is set in Router Mode, set static IP one of your available addresses and that should be it. The router will create a private network just for you, with a different set of IP addresses (typically 192.168.0.x up to 253 devices). And it will perform NAT so all packets exiting your dorm will appear as coming from just one IP. Then they will make NAT again to exit the Internet with their public IP (hence the double NAT)

TP Link routers have a nice feature should you need it which is cloning the MAC address of one device (the PC usually). If you ever had to tell somebody the MAC address so the PC could connect to the Internet, use that feature. Otherwise you don't need it.

In this scenario your devices should be configured to automatically get the IP address, as this time the DHCP Server will be just for you and your devices, not for the whole network.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 6724

Replies: 5