Archer C6 throttling network speed?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-04-04 12:40:27 - last edited 2020-04-09 10:17:03
Model: Archer C6  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.2.1 Build 20200110 rel.60119(4555)

Long story short, I suspect my Archer C6 is throttling internet speed :/

To be clear: I'm not talking WiFi - all measumenets below are taken over Ethernet connection.

So, my network setup is as follows:

.----.
   .---------. | == |
   |.-"""""-.| |----|             |   |
   ||       || | == |         \  _|___|_  /          _______
   ||       || |----|          \:       :/          :       :
   |'-.....-'| |::::|=== Eth ===:_______:=== Eth ===:       :-- Fiber --
   `"")---(""` |___.|                               :_______:
  /:::::::::::\" _  "            tp-link            
 /:::=======:::\`\`\            Archer C6          Fiber optic
 `"""""""""""""`  '-'                                 modem
     Desktop           Cable 1             Cable 2

What I've recently found interesting is that PC shows down/up speed of 255.56/264.11 (Mbps; link). This is way lower than the incoming (>1Gbps) and network cards/router physical limitations (both 1Gbps).

I tried connecting cable 2 directly to the PC - and it's surprisingly 363.86/907.48 (Mbps; link)!
900+Mbps looks somewhat close to what I've expected... But why doesn't it work with Archer C6 in the middle, which claims to be a Gigabit router? I've already tried replacing Cable 1 with other cables, but the result is still the same.

One thing I've noticed in addition is that router CPU load is at 100% during speed tests. That may mean router can't handle more... Now the question is, what settings may I tune to stop throttling? Given I have QoS, Parental Controls and Security all disabled, I'm pretty lost on what else to turn on/off.

ps: I have both 2.4 and 5Ghz wireless networks enabled with some 6-9 devices connected, but they are mostly idle. And switching wireless networks off completely doesn't actually affect Ethernet speed still - already tried.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Archer C6 throttling network speed?-Solution
2020-04-09 10:16:57 - last edited 2020-04-09 10:17:03

I guess I've solved it. Did factory reset and re-configured everything manually.

Latest result: 312/876Mbps (link). The only differences with my previous setup, I've noticed are:

• SPI firewall (disabled --> enabled)
  • IGMP snooping (enabled --> disabled)
  • IGMP version (v3 --> v2)

Not sure which one was causing CPU load. Maybe it just needed a fresh start...

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Archer C6 throttling network speed?-Solution
2020-04-09 10:16:57 - last edited 2020-04-09 10:17:03

I guess I've solved it. Did factory reset and re-configured everything manually.

Latest result: 312/876Mbps (link). The only differences with my previous setup, I've noticed are:

• SPI firewall (disabled --> enabled)
  • IGMP snooping (enabled --> disabled)
  • IGMP version (v3 --> v2)

Not sure which one was causing CPU load. Maybe it just needed a fresh start...

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Archer C6 throttling network speed?
2020-04-09 23:11:54

@flash_1999 

@Kevin_Z 

I believe it's IGMP Snooping affect the result.

When the IGMP Snooping is enable and meanwhile you have IGMP taffic in your network. The router use CPU to handle the IGMP packets so that it affect the Internet traffic speed.

If you are using Bridge mode for the IPTV or you don't use Bridge mode but you don't STB connect to the LAN ports, just keep IGMP Snooping disabled, it will not have any affect.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2716

Replies: 2

Related Articles