Forgot SSH password

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Forgot SSH password

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Forgot SSH password
Forgot SSH password
2020-04-11 18:51:47
Model: TL-WR1043N  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Hi

I'm havin a about 10 year old TP Link wireless router: TL-WR1043ND.

A friend back then updated the firmware on the router and uploaded OpenWrt on the router (as far a I can remember).

Now, I try to reactive the thing, and I'm having troubles accessing it.

When I turn it on and attach it to my providers router I can see it on the network.

I made a port scan using nmap to see, that only the ports 22 (SSH) and 139 (netbios-ssn) are open. Port 80 isn't.

When I try to ssh into it using the admin user I do not know the password.

I figured hitting the reset button wont help much, because of the OpenWrt firmware.

What should I do? What would you do?

Thankful for any suggestions.

Klaus

Options
1 Reply
Re:Forgot SSH password
2021-01-02 14:46:47 - last edited 2021-01-02 14:47:18

Turn on the router and keep on pressing and releasing the front-button with QSS (repeatedly) until you see that one of the leds starts blinking. Now openwrt is in failsafe mode. Set the ip of your notebook to 192.168.1.10 (so not dhcp) and connect your notebook via a network cable with one of the LAN ports. Connect using ssh (or telnet if an old openwrt version is installed) to 192.168.1.1 (the router) and type the command firstboot && reboot now This resets the router and in particular the old password is removed. You can set your own password. Also it is possible to re-install the original TP-link firmware. For instructions and a link to the original TP-link firmware see the openwrt-website: https://openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wr1043nd

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1342

Replies: 1

Related Articles