Extender RE-450V2 Wifi Access issue "Windows 10 can’t get the Network Settings from the router"

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Extender RE-450V2 Wifi Access issue "Windows 10 can’t get the Network Settings from the router"

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-04-13 02:05:52 - last edited 2020-07-13 04:09:44
Model: RE450  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.0.4 Build 20171220 Ref. 73615(6585)

Several months ago I bought a range extender TP-Link RE450V2, installation was fine and it worked well when connected to an unrealted Modem/Router made by Netgear. I have since changed the Network Modem/Router last month to a TP-Link Archer AC-1600V2.1 Model. This issue now is that whenever I try to connect to the WIFI extender using my Windows 10 based laptops ( I have 4 different makes, Toshiba, Dell, HP and  Lenovo) I get the same message "windows can't get the Network Settings from the router"!. But WIFI access to the extender via my iphone XR works which uses a IOS operating system!

Both extender and router have the latest TP-Link firmwire installed in the devices. 

Can someone please help me and let me know how to fix it as I have tried all suggestions from TP-link support Q&A and Youtube etc.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Extender RE-450V2 Wifi Access issue "Windows 10 can’t get the Network Settings from the router"-Solution
2020-07-12 13:57:51 - last edited 2020-07-13 04:09:44

@VGGDP Thanks for your answer.

I spent a few hours on it today, and I kinda sorta found a fix.

Not the most satisfying one, but it more or less works.

Instead of naming the SSID for the extender something different from the SSID for the router, I gave it (well "them", one for the 2.4Ghz and one of the 5Ghz) the same name.

The annoying thing is that I have no control on whether the PC is connected through the router or through the extender (and it seems to vary depending on the number of devices using the WI-Fi at a given time and their location in the house, on a day like today when the whole family is home, it can be quite a few with everyone's phones, some tablets, etc).
However, it does connect to the extender more often than to the router (I check on the Tether app on my phone where everything is connected).

Not ideal, but that's the only way I made it work for the PC.

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:Extender RE-450V2 Wifi Access issue "Windows 10 can’t get the Network Settings from the router"
2020-07-11 10:17:27

@VGGDP Hello,

Have you found a fix?

I have exactly the same problem.

I've just set up a RE450 extender (my router is a TP-Link Archer AX10).
It's working fine with all my Android devices, but I get the same error message when I try to connect with my PC.

I bought the extender for the PC (it's a desktop and it's a bit far from the Router, 5Ghz wi-fi is very weak).

Options
Re:Extender RE-450V2 Wifi Access issue "Windows 10 can’t get the Network Settings from the router"
2020-07-12 07:15:43

@DavidinSetouchi Hi dvid,

It is still not resolved and no updates or reply from tp-link support group, if they actually exist :(. It is very frustrating as I never had such an issue with other Wifi extenders used in the past. Not sure why it only impacts on Windows based PCs as it works with IOS Apple devices or android smart TV or devices etc. I thought that with a TP-Link Modem/Router connected to a TP-Link Wifi Extender that I would have no issues. I do not expect it to be fixed now as it has been 3 months.

Such is life and I will need to purchase another Wifi Extender (any non TP-Link extender) but I will need to make sure it works.

Options
Re:Extender RE-450V2 Wifi Access issue "Windows 10 can’t get the Network Settings from the router"-Solution
2020-07-12 13:57:51 - last edited 2020-07-13 04:09:44

@VGGDP Thanks for your answer.

I spent a few hours on it today, and I kinda sorta found a fix.

Not the most satisfying one, but it more or less works.

Instead of naming the SSID for the extender something different from the SSID for the router, I gave it (well "them", one for the 2.4Ghz and one of the 5Ghz) the same name.

The annoying thing is that I have no control on whether the PC is connected through the router or through the extender (and it seems to vary depending on the number of devices using the WI-Fi at a given time and their location in the house, on a day like today when the whole family is home, it can be quite a few with everyone's phones, some tablets, etc).
However, it does connect to the extender more often than to the router (I check on the Tether app on my phone where everything is connected).

Not ideal, but that's the only way I made it work for the PC.

Recommended Solution
Options
2020-07-13 04:20:17

@DavidinSetouchi Hi David,

Thank you so much for your reply and providing details of a solution. Well done! I tried it on the Wifi Extender and it appears to work but as you indicated it is difficult to determine if it is the modem/router or wifi extender that is connected as they both have the same SSID Name and password.But the real indicator is signal strength and proximity to the closest device. I do now remember setting up the same SSID name for both devices initially but as it was not possible  to know if the Wifi Extender was working (except for the blue light indicators) so I decided to change the SSID names between the devices. Best Regards and Take Care Vince Turco

Options
2020-11-29 17:43:30

@VGGDP Try changing the encryption from "Auto" to whatever your main router is using, in my case "AES", then reboot the TPLink, remove the WIFI network (SSID) from your laptop, then re-add the WIFI network (SSID) and connect. The removal/re-add of the SSID might not be needed, but it was one of the steps I performed when I resolved the issue. All the other tweaking and tinkering didn't do anything.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3626

Replies: 5

Related Articles