Why do we need to "signup" to use hardware?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-04-14 20:54:31
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 20190821

Really?

I just spent a small fortune for this mesh system to find out I can't even set it up without giving tplink my email address?

What gives? Why do I need my email account tied to my access points? There is no rational answer to why you need a web account linked to an access point. This and the lack of any control / functionality for MY devices is why I am sending them back to Amazon.

TP Link must start putting this requirement on thier product literature. I felt cheated and trapped into signup. I bought the hardware. I own the hardware. I do not rent the hardware.

Give us a simple web interface for settings and tell marketing to F off.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Why do we need to "signup" to use hardware?
2020-04-15 03:02:40 - last edited 2020-04-15 03:03:30

@CasaP Because you can control anything in your home from outside and the cloud act as agent. 

Options
2020-04-15 05:32:38

@CasaP I have exactly the same feeling, luckily it was possible to firewall the e4's and have them running in AP mode, this gives excelent wireless coverage but the rest....

Options
2020-04-15 08:57:01

leogz wrote

@CasaP Because you can control anything in your home from outside and the cloud act as agent. 

@leogz 

In no way should you be relying on an Access Point to control who and what get into your nework from the outside world!!!

That is why you have a gateway with firewalls / blacklists / DOS spoofing etc.

Half the problem we have these days is giving up control for ease of use, thay normally ends in snooping.

Another point here is, IF the internet cloud server running the TPlink service goes down, you can't connect to your local AP. Try it, kill the internet and see if you can access YOUR hardware.

Options
2020-04-15 13:22:39

@CasaP 

to me this sounds like a sound and valid claim.

it is fine to offer users the comfort of app+cloud management, but why have it forced, especially when it is not adequately disclosed on the product packaging or online info on the various online shopping sites?

I ask that someone from TP-Link would step in and elaborate a bit on this matter.

Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 1085

Replies: 4