Wifi security WPA2 AES missing in Deco M9 Plus?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Wifi security WPA2 AES missing in Deco M9 Plus?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
157 Reply
Re:Wifi security WPA2 AES missing in Deco M9 Plus?
2020-08-14 18:32:59
I had a similar issue to what Zorki48 described.
Installed iOS14 beta in my iPhone and immediately had problems due to "weak security" in the WiFi network, with the proposed solution being to configure security to AES.
This will be a major issue (we are not just atlking about Volvo cars now) once iOS14 is formally released in a few weeks.
Therefore, TP-Link's "will come in a firmware update soon" typical response will have to be effective in the next few weeks, before iOS14.

Options
2020-08-15 09:04:55
Not to just add fuel to the fire, but I’m in a tough situation here. This still hasn’t been resolved even in the current firmware. I have 5 days to return the device to amazon. Who are just by pure luck having a sale on their eero mesh WiFi. It is more expensive but also more secure right out of the box. I need convincing to not go through with the return and move to them. It’s been almost a month, iOS 14 is looming, and this is still elusive. I know you say you need time, but we also need higher security.
Options
2020-08-15 09:40:29

@TP-Link_Deco Has anyone tried this yet? I'm scared to install a beta firmware on my decos

Options
2020-08-15 11:39:40
Keep in mind that the security issue is there today, and has been for a while, even without iOS 14 letting you know about it. Point being, it's unacceptable that a device would be left vulnerable either way. It took nearly a year to get a firmware update, that to my knowledge address almost none of the complaints frequently seen on the forms (e.g. "Smart" DHCP) so I would be infinitely surprised if they release a firmware update in the next couple of weeks to address WPA2. So if you are able to return the device, it may be wise to do so.
Options
2020-08-18 11:44:01

Had this from support:

Due to Covid pandemic, there has been some delays. But rest assured we will be releasing the updates soon as our HQ R&D team is working on it.

Options
2020-08-29 21:43:32

@TP-Link_Deco Add my voice to the number of unhappily surprised new customers who can't believe this is an issue.  I just moved and set up a new system with M5s.  Tried to change the security (foolishly thinking something this new would be able to do-I mean I could do it on routers years ago) and was shocked to find that it isn't available.  These will probably be returned if this isn't addressed within my return window.  I can guarantee if that happens I won't be replacing them with a TP-Link product.  

Options
2020-09-03 19:09:13

When will the AES option be available

Options
2020-09-03 22:20:53

+1 for another customer asking when this feature update will be available? 

Why can't you give us what other routers and devices have been giving us for 10 years? I see you have bee doing firmware updates, but for features nobody has asked for (like "smart" commands). 

I'm giving it another week before I will simply have to return my Deco M5 (so I am within my product return window) and get another product. It's absurd that this feature has been an afterthought. Especially when you consider iOS and Android are just about to release the new versions of their software which will render these devices useless, warning you every time you try and connect to these networks which are forced to run the outdated WPA protocol. 

If you can't offer us any solid indication as to *when* an update that allows us to choose "WPA 2 Only" will be available, I strongly encourage EVERYBODY here to return their devices and get another brand. It's simply not worth it having such a gaping security hole in their network, no matter how much more "convenient" TPLink thinks it is for the end-user.

Options
2020-09-03 22:37:21
Same here. I just purchased an S4. My iPhones say I have weak security. I love the product but I want better security.
Options
2020-09-05 22:11:40

Any progress? This is the second TPLink product i bought that leaves out a key feature. The Deco 9 can't adopt AES, the Kaza switch can not change WiFi networks without a complete reset and reconfiguration. Your Product desigbn and engineering teams should be fired.

Options