Anyone here have experience with TP-link routers?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-04-17 13:36:20

Ok so i was referred to this brand routers because of their firmware. Essentially what im trying to do is create a guest network with limited bandwidth. I was told tp links firmware has an option to do this specifically. Ive tried QoS on my current netgear router but i dont believe it works properly/efficiently. Its also a nuissance trying to track down any new devices that connect to my network by mac address to setup Qos.

I have a 30 meg plan through my provider. What i want to do is create and limit a guest network so that no matter how many devices are attached they all share a capped (15meg) network. Has anyone done this through their firmware?

Looking through amazon i saw a specific model TC-W7960 (N300) combo modem/router. I emailed the manufacturer directly through their live expert agent option but just received an unhelpful answer. They basically told me that model is only a modem, which it clearly says its not. (The TC-W7960 combines a DOCSIS 3.0 modem with a 300Mbps Wi-Fi router to help you get more from your Internet). Then they just referred me to 10 different model numbers of ONLY routers. I could just get a router but when i saw this combo unit i thought it would be a better choice since my modem is from like 2009. Anyway just wanted to see if i could receive a more helpful answer here since contacting their support agents was just a waste of time.

Options