Connected to M3W or Not?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Connected to M3W or Not?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Connected to M3W or Not?
Connected to M3W or Not?
2020-04-18 17:08:46
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.0.5

I recently installed the Deco M9 Plus 3-node mesh system. I like it a lot. We have a couple of fringe areas in the yard I’d like to get better coverage so I bought a M3W unit to extend the coverage. For now I bought just 1 to test out before buying a 2nd unit for the other area.  The problem I’m having is the M3W firmware doesn’t support the ability to see a list of devices connected to it.  I’ve also tried moving around with my iPhone to see which node it’s connected to, but it always shows that it’s connected to one of the primary M9 nodes no matter where I move to.  Even when I approach the M3W from an angle outside the coverage area where it is clearly the closest node, the iPhone still registers as connected to one of M9 nodes.  This gives me the impression the M3W was a waste of money in that nothing is connecting to it....instead favoring the M9 nodes. My questions:

1) Is the M3W more like an extender than a node itself?  If so, I’m wondering if the connected node listed for the iPhone is really the node the M3W is connected to. Giving someone the mistaken impression the iPhone is never connected to the M3W when in reality it is.

2)  Is there a way to see which M9 node the M3W is connected to?

Options
2 Reply
Re:Connected to M3W or Not?
2020-04-27 07:36:50
I Just don't get how TP-LInk can release this product with such bad firmware, As far as I am concerned if we cant see what clients are connected, it is useless. Such a shame as the rest of the products seem great
Options
Re:Connected to M3W or Not?
2020-05-03 16:35:39

@MarkN I have a rubbish but almost workable solution 

If you try and find a connected device that IS NOT showing on any deco but IS on your WIFI then it is connected to a M3W. 

to confirm this, when you locate your device (please see screenshot) it says linked deco: unavailable for current firmware - this can surely only

mean the Device is connected to the M3W

File:
AE21803F-E3AC-4681-8C41-4ED4225E55D4.pngDownload
Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 1223

Replies: 2

Related Articles