Archer C 1200 and Parental Control

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-04-18 20:27:12
Model: Archer C1200  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.3 Build 20180124 rel 52299 (EU)

I have tried to activate parental control, and there are a few things that make life difficult.

a) parental control seems not to work at all.

b) not possible to see what is going on.

c) not clear if defining times what this means (is it where access is allowed or where access is denied?)

d) no good documentation.

e) without going to advanced mode to define a content restriction, nothing will happen (see also a)

f) without reconnecting with the device in question, restrictions won't work (at least not straight away). How many seconds/minutes, before saved entries take effect?

What I found so far:

Defining a device (MAC address) will only add the device to the parental control list

Defining times will indicate at what times the filter will be used.

Defining a filter is the crucial part. Either blacklist OR whitelist is possible.

- blacklist: enter keywords that trigger the blacklist (anything WITH this keyword is blocked. But what are those keywords supposed to mean? how do they work? Is content on the websites checked, or domain names? And how does this work with other applications like twitter, chat clients like WhatsApp etc.?)

- whitelist: enter a list of domains (like google.com etc. where access is allowed. This should deny access to anything that is not a predefined listed Website, but is it really?)

If I enter a device AND define times eg. for 0-9 and 18-24 hours for all weekdays, AND define a filter to work during those hours WITH a whitelist that is empty, THEN internet access is only allowed from 9 to 18 on all weekdays. But is it really completely blocked?

But is this also preventing access to some IP addresses (which don't use domain names)? Does it affect anything not using HTTP/HTTPS? How are those whitelists supposed to work?

Options
1 Reply
[competely broken] Re:Archer C 1200 and Parental Control
2020-04-19 12:34:48

@Tramp I also checked further details now and found that eg. Twitter and other Apps still work.

Only web access is sort of blocked (like: apple store works, but downloading doesn't)

I wonder if this is only due to some web proxy filtering, which would be a poor man's blocking. 

Investigating, how to circumvent these restrictions, quickly brought up the following:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/102049

I'd rather have the possibility to sort of put devices on the security access control blacklist for defined periods of time instead of having a broken "parental control" that a) won't limit non-http(s)-traffic (eg. twitter, tictoc and many more) and b) can be circumvented within minutes by a 10-year-old.

Many thanks!

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 668

Replies: 1

Related Articles